• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prisoner in my own home

sandybird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
sandy
My caique won't stay on top of her cage. Always has to get down to me. If I put her in the cage, she chews the newspaper at the bottom which irritates me. If I go upstairs, she will stay on top of cage. I have to stay upstairs now. (My previous caique would sit on top all day until nightfall and then come down to me.) Sure do miss her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My caique Rio does the same. She can fly really well now (she was clipped before I got her, so the wings are just now all in) and she zooms around wherever I go. I have created 3 play areas but she prefers to be on me. :smileflower:

sandybird

Real Name
sandy
She is clipped but hops to me or climbs chairs to be by people. Only peace I get is when she sleeps.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
She's a bird, birds are flock animals. Flock animals are usually drawn to their flock. You're her flock.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I cannot sit on a chair too close to my caiques without them jumping on me. They want nothing more than to be with me and snuggle. It helps to have some distance between where I am sitting and their playstand, but it does not last too long before they decided to lure me close enough so that they can jump on me (They are not clipped but they do not fly well).

My Amazon, on the other hand is very good at staying on his playstand. He likes some snuggle time, but not as much as my caiques.

I do not feel I am a "prisoner" though. I just adore them, and I am so happy that they are part of my life, even though they are so demanding and troublesome.

Don't compare your current caique to your old one. I have two females and they have totally different personalities. Your caique loves you and wants to spend time with you.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats what they do...They are feathered balls & chain...

Rio & everyone I've ever had but not Penny yet will let the world know when I go to the bathroom! I'm home most of the day & can't even potty in peace!
Luckily when hes in bed at night he does not do it! :rofl:

Last edited:

sandybird

Real Name
sandy
help she's screams too when I go somewhere.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is she?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's what birds do. Most of my birds will contact call for me from time to time during the day. Yen's really bonded to me, so she calls for me whenever I'm out of the room even with her friends present.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Tell us more about your bird and environment.
How old is she?
How long have you had her?
What kind of environment did she have before she came to live with you?
Who else lives at your place (animals and humans)?

I find my caiques to be very social, and they want to interact with each other as well as their human(s).
They also love destructive toys.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Anyone who purchases a parrot should know the answers to these questions, so I assume this is a joke.

Your bird wants to be with you because it is bonded to you. It is a social animal and is craving company. It jumps on you because it loves you, wants to be touched, held and played with. It screams when you leave because it is desperate to be with you. It is cruel and inhumane to ignore the social needs of a bonded animal. If you cannot provide a nourishing and loving environment for your bird, then you should rehome it to someone who can.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio does not want to be touched but
I still can't leave him to go potty!

sandybird

Real Name
sandy
2 years old. nice window for him/her to look out but is not interested.

sandybird

Real Name
sandy
I tried to rehome it once. The lady that was interested was bi-polar so I decided against it. I'm keeping it I'm all it knows

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
From the sounds of things, your poor caique would be much better off in a home with someone who understands birds. She loves you, but you clearly don't love her.

sandybird

Real Name
sandy
I'm trying. It's not like my first caique. different personality. I loved my first caique so much and still miss him. She would stay on top of the cage all day and at sundown come into my room and climb the mattress and under the covers. Of course, We'd put him in the cage at about 10 p.m.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, it sounds like maybe you didn’t finish grieving for your first caique before you got the new one? They’re all different. I have 2 and they are COMPLETELY different.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm trying. It's not like my first caique. different personality. I loved my first caique so much and still miss him. She would stay on top of the cage all day and at sundown come into my room and climb the mattress and under the covers. Of course, We'd put him in the cage at about 10 p.m.
She just wants to be with you, love. Your other caique sounds like a charmer, but it was dangerous to expect your new bird to be the same way. Now you're both disappointed and don't have what you want.
Can you put play stands in the rooms you frequent so that she can join you? Lots of toys to keep her preoccupied? Caiques in general are highly social and love the constant companionship and closeness of their flock, which in this case is only you.