• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Princess of Wales parakeet

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I don't know if this is the right place for this subject. But, Im interested in this bird but I can't find much info. So I have some questions.

Are they cuddly?
Are they nippy?
What is their bite power? Like a lovebird or conure?
Is their diet picky?
Are they aggressive?
Are they very active? Cockatiel wise or parrotlet?
What size of cage would be required?
How much attention would be needed?
Are they loud? Apartment good or not?

And any other things I should know? Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:bump4:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump7:

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
From what I've been able to find, they (when handfed) are known for being sweet and gentle like cockatiels, but not cuddly. They are not very playful but are strong fliers and need room to fly to be happy - that along with their long tails means they need more room than other birds of similar size. They are known for being quiet as well.

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
From what I've been able to find, they (when handfed) are known for being sweet and gentle like cockatiels, but not cuddly. They are not very playful but are strong fliers and need room to fly to be happy - that along with their long tails means they need more room than other birds of similar size. They are known for being quiet as well.
They're common birds in Australia, I've never had one but my friend has two. What you've mentioned is typical of them and others I've met. They remind me a lot of cockatiels, but less hands-on. They are sweet and somewhat quiet, but don't always seem to enjoy being touched. They seem to do better in pairs and aviaries.

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
The princess parrots I've seen are identical to cockatiels in body shape and similar in disposition, but they have some interesting vocalizations, not entirely unlike a pigeon. They're commonly kept as more of an aviary bird than a pet bird, but they certainly have pet potential if you socialize them well and encourage activity and interaction.

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
I used to have a red rumped parakeet and he was beautiful. I got him as an adult, so he wasn't very hand tame. But he did sing almost like a canary and hung close to the cage side to be with us.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
I saw a pair of them this morning. I'd never seen them in person and had to ask what they were! (That's how I wound up in this thread.. had to look them up more)

They were only slightly smaller than the crimson rosellas above them, so a fair bit bigger than a cockatiel. That's all the info I have though, sorry!

fauxbird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Suzanne Handel
ok i have not been on in awhile but i have a princess parrot who is thirteen this year they are cockatiel sized but longer tails,pikachu is a lime mutation which is why he's on the smaller side but they need bigger cages as he's around 18inches long,these are not touchy birds though he will let me touch him a little as this species are not allo preeners as in they do not preen each other though I'm not sure were the quiet myth came from females are on the quiet side but both have a loud contact call,males on the other hand sing of the polytelis species the male princess and the male superb parrot sing and it is loud if you live in an apartment i would never suggest one,i need to record mine I'm in a basement apartment with windows closed you can hear him outside in the backyard now true its not all day when i get up in the morning/the afternoon/and early evening.