• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Price Increase

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am no stranger to high priced pets... I breed Bulldogs so spending thousands on a companion animal doesn't make me cringe. I am wondering though when did prices double? I haven't looked at baby Grey prices in 6? 7? years. They are around 1000-1500 back when I bought my mother in law her baby.
Did anything specific cause the price increase? - For example years ago when all those Great Billed Parrots died in Florida and the breed became scarce and the price skyrocketed for babies if you could even find them.

Thanks Guys :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’ve seen baby greys still go for about that price range. What surprises me is when someone trying to rehome an older bird also asks for that much.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’ve seen baby greys still go for about that price range. What surprises me is when someone trying to rehome an older bird also asks for that much.
Really all the ones I have seen online and locally are 2500-3500

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
It depends on how dedicated you are to looking and networking. There is a very good breeder in Arizona who only sells for $1600. The breeder I got my grey from sold theirs for $1800 and then it was actually a buyer who forced the price up. She tried to use that price to get another breeder to lower theirs which only caused my breeder to increase their prices. It has always been that way. Buyers drive the prices whether we are talking about parrots or rare books. It’s about the price people are willing to pay. Ask around. And if you don’t need a baby-look at rehoming a Grey. There are plenty out there that people no longer want for one reason or another. Most people don’t understand what they are getting into. They hear that there’s this wonderful talking parrot without regard for the cost of care, the cost of cage and accessories, the mess and a whole bunch of other things. :(

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have helped plenty of rescues I was just window shopping :) surprised by the prices

Kodigirl210

I spent 3-6 months researching, checking and all kinds of other things. I know of two places in So Cal that would offer for $1600-$1800 and the one in AZ for $1600. All about the time you put into it lol ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my area I've never seen them under 2k. You have parrots like Einstein and YouTube now, and everyone fell in love with greys, even if they didn't know they existed before that. They are a household name. Increase of demand = increase in price.

It used to be "oh you have parrots? Like a macaw?" And now I get many more "like an african grey?" Than I used to

Kodigirl210

Yup and sadly it’s like the cocker spaniel craze or the bengal cat craze or the cockatoo craze. People see it on tv or the movies or YouTube and all of sudden they have to have it. All that happens is that these poor creatures get overbred, overpriced and dumped in shelters/put up for rehoming. Not to mention all the scams and false ads that flood everything from the classifieds to CL. It’s frustrating and sad. I wanted a CAG. I didn’t need a perfect one, a big one or anything else. I spent every weekend with Sif from the time she was pulled to the time she went home. The thought of dumping her because of her issues never, ever crossed my mind. It makes me sick and angry that CaGs are dumped because they cost too much to take care of or too much work to feed or too hard to clean up after or the Grey won’t talk. I wish people would put some thought into it but they never do.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
From what I've heard, most of the wild-caught greys aren't breeding so much anymore and the domestic ones don't produce as much. Also a bunch were killed in the Florida hurricanes a couple years back.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I've seen CAGs go for $3500 here.

Kodigirl210

It depends on where you are. Some of the breeders in So Cal have 2-3 clutches every year.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
In Spain they cost around 750-900 euros (853.84 - 1024.61 USD) for papillero (currently being hand fed formula)

37 min
Yacos papilleros muy cariñosos de 1 a 3 tomas con documentacion en regla factura cites. . . mejor ver enviamos a toda españa
775€

3 horas
Vendo yaco papillero tiene dos meses y medio todo los papeles en regla recogida en Málaga o Granada
550€

9 horas
se vende jacos papilleros con cites 1 y toda su documentacion en regla tambien vendo una pareja de amazonas aestivas en edad reproductora en 2000 €
700€

:(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I look from time to time on the breeder's site where we bought Kazoo. Her Mealy prices went from the $900 we paid for him almost 10 years ago to $1800 (I know she had said that they are pretty rare in the wild now) but still. As for dogs, well being on some Sheltie sites and People asking $1000 to $1500 with NO champion lineage? And some of the run of the mill poor quality in look (heads/muzzle/underjaw) etc. I have no answer other than popularity driving the costs up due to demand. SMH :rolleyes:

And my BAD for not adopting! :(

Kodigirl210

I had done a Senegal rescue prior and she died within months of getting her. All kinds of issue caused by bad breeder handling. The next bird I got from a bird store and it too was undersized with issues. I decided the next time i was doing the private breeder route. And even tho Sif also has a ton of issues I could have taken a bird from the second clutch to replace her. I just chose not too. It would be very hard for me to do a rescue/adoption again & definitely no pet stores ever. Too many horror stories besides my own. :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Take that back! Just went to her site and they are now $1999 and the U2's are now $2300 when they used to be $1500 wow!

Kodigirl210

Ouch on the U2’s. But hopefully that keep the idiots from buying them. They really need experienced people to own them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Very rarely do you see either Grey species for sale around here....and when you do see one, the price starts at 2500 dollars.

Just about any bird around here is pricey...GCCs can be $400+...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Ouch on the U2’s. But hopefully that keep the idiots from buying them. They really need experienced people to own them.
I agree! She hasn't had any baby Mealeys in quite sometime. I am not sure she has a breeding pair any longer. I know back when we picked up Kazoo, her local buyer's would come and spend time with their babies. But she also ships so that loving early bonding time isn't an all the time thing. :( giving comfort feedings does and I feel that my bond with Kazoo was surely bolstered by this. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Grays in the Toronto region go for around $1600 ->$1800 CDN. Retail or private,

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We are losing the wild population of breeding greys due to age and the domestically bred ones are hit and miss with breeding...the boys can’t seem to figure out what to do!;). As such, prices for greys have definitely gone way up. In general, prices seem to have gone up.