• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prevue Hendrix natural snuggle hut

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was just at Windy city parrot store and impulsively bought this snuggle hut.
Sea Grass Snuggle Hut 62811 Prevue Pet Products

Prevue Pet Products Naturals Sea Grass Bird & Small Animal Snuggle Hut 62811 Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Naturals Sea Grass Bird & Small Animal Snuggle Hut 62811 : Pet Supplies

Once I got to the car I questioned whether or not I should let Blu have it.
I looked online and the website claims the wires that hold it together are ss so that was good. Surprising but good.

But I always worry still. Does this look like it could be hazardous in anyway? Could his head get stuck between the braided things? Or his toes in between the metal round thing here?
20190219_145621.jpg
Or anything else that looks iffy?

20190219_145628.jpg Does anyone have one of these? Sorry for all the questions! I am always weary of store bought parrot stuff. I don't really think I should let him have it but wondered what you guys think?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I used these for Pippin after he got a little *too* attached to his regular snuggle hut, if you know what I mean.

He chewed it a few of them bits and had absolutely no problems. However, under no circumstances should you ever get it wet. It will stink to high heaven.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
What I have been doing with most all toys I buy is replace the wires and strings that hold the toy together with leather strips instead. It makes me feel better cuz I know the leather is harmless and I make any loops smaller when necessary.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I got one for my linnies because they do like to snuggle. They tore it apart on the outside and never went inside. Eventually I hung it up and attached some toys.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
What I have been doing with most all toys I buy is replace the wires and strings that hold the toy together with leather strips instead. It makes me feel better cuz I know the leather is harmless and I make any loops smaller when necessary.
That's a really good idea, thank you! At first then I looked it in the car and saw the metal I immediately started thinking - how can I recreate this? But then when I looked online and saw that it was ss I figured that's pretty good the way it is.

I just worry that his nails can get caught in the round metal part and that he can strangle himself in the loops on the top. I think for now I'll only allow him to play when I'm supervising and it he really likes it I may tweak it somehow

I got one for my linnies because they do like to snuggle. They tore it apart on the outside and never went inside. Eventually I hung it up and attached some toys.

I can just imagine how cute linnies would be destroying it. Lol. Thank you for sharing!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had one of these for Chirp- Seagrass Tent - Medium Bird Toy - Bird Tent - Super Bird Creations Since it's just seagrass it's safe, and the baby links are just plastic. I took it out because Chirp sat on top, not inside it. I modified it a bit, instead of the 1 baby link on the top I put 1 on the back and 1 on the front. Or you could run a long perch through the top and put it against the top of the cage.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had one of these for Chirp- Seagrass Tent - Medium Bird Toy - Bird Tent - Super Bird Creations Since it's just seagrass it's safe, and the baby links are just plastic. I took it out because Chirp sat on top, not inside it. I modified it a bit, instead of the 1 baby link on the top I put 1 on the back and 1 on the front. Or you could run a long perch through the top and put it against the top of the cage.

That's pretty cute! Thanks for sharing, I bookmarked it for later :)

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Oh, I like this. Farlie would chew those plastic rings off in no time so I'll replace them with leather instead.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Leather is definitely a wonderful substitute, though you may have to change it more often depending on how much of a "pro chewer" your birb is :hehe:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We buy the flat seagrass mats then I fold it over and weave polly or leather rope through the top to keep it closed to form a hut shape. I attach it to the cage with heavy duty plastic baby rings that lock.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
We buy the flat seagrass mats then I fold it over and weave polly or leather rope through the top to keep it closed to form a hut shape. I attach it to the cage with heavy duty plastic baby rings that lock.
I was going to say, you can take three small grass mats and make a triangle. Just keep an eye on it for chewed holes.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I thought about doing that before too. I have a seagrass mat but it's too huge, lol. Thanks for reminding me though! I should buy little bit of a smaller one.

I let him see the seagrass hut last night while I supervised. He was a little weary at first so I pretended to kiss it. That's my little trick to get him to check stuff out and it always works. :hehe::hehe:

He went in it for a second and chewed it a tiny bit. I could imagine he could get to liking it alot so I will let him him play supervised until I tweak it a bit. When this one gets destroyed I'll either get the one @taxidermynerd linked or make my own as @Teckechick and @webchirp suggested. Thanks so much everyone!!!

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
Ohhh I like the look of this! I wonder if it'd be too nest-like for my birds though... but darn they did love having sleep huts way-back-when.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I too always look at toys with potential injury risks as Quakers seem to get theirselves in trouble. Maybe since you have doubts just use it as an out of cage supervised playtime instead.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ohhh I like the look of this! I wonder if it'd be too nest-like for my birds though... but darn they did love having sleep huts way-back-when.
I think it probably does have the potential to cause hormonal issues so it's probably up to the individual bird/owner. I definitely wouldn't try it if I had a female but I'm just paranoid about the whole egg thing.

They do make some pretty cool fleece covered tunnel hut things on one website but I forgot which site it is. I think @saroj12 or @iamwhoiam has one? Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I wanted to buy one of those but my fid poops pretty indiscriminately and walks right through it sometimes so I don't know how I'd keep one of those clean. They are neat looking though!

I too always look at toys with potential injury risks as Quakers seem to get theirselves in trouble. Maybe since you have doubts just use it as an out of cage supervised playtime instead.
Yes, I'm a paranoid mom as it is so that's probably what we'll do with this one. Thanks!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I think it probably does have the potential to cause hormonal issues so it's probably up to the individual bird/owner. I definitely wouldn't try it if I had a female but I'm just paranoid about the whole egg thing.

They do make some pretty cool fleece covered tunnel hut things on one website but I forgot which site it is. I think @saroj12 or @iamwhoiam has one? Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I wanted to buy one of those but my fid poops pretty indiscriminately and walks right through it sometimes so I don't know how I'd keep one of those clean. They are neat looking though!

Yes, I'm a paranoid mom as it is so that's probably what we'll do with this one. Thanks!

tcfeathers aviary. i line mine with washable and disposable fleece rectangles

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
Thanks @CrazyBirdChick we've had one of those in the past. I removed it when I felt they were getting too nesty with it. When they get out of their mood it gets to rotate back in on a rare occasion. But spring is in the air over here :lol: I keep trying to convince them there is still snow on the ground!