• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preventing window strikes on a sliding glass door?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Has anyone had any success with the UV window decals?

What are some non-obstructing ways I can prevent bird strikes on my sliding glass door - both for my birds, and the outdoor birds?

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Absolutely, I have them on most windows in our house. What I did and still do is take Pepper up to the glass and tap his beak/my finger on it to show him that he can’t fly there. Never had an accident. For the wild bird, those sun reflectors seem to help.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Absolutely, I have them on most windows in our house. What I did and still do is take Pepper up to the glass and tap his beak/my finger on it to show him that he can’t fly there. Never had an accident. For the wild bird, those sun reflectors seem to help.

Thanks! Is there a particular brand that you used?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had a bird fly into a window last week. She hung from the top brick for 15 minutes or more, catching her breath. Then flew away. My window is actually on the inside of a deck so it was surprising. I was so worried.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Dark coloured blinds help a lot. On the outside if you put screening over the windows (with about a 1 inch spacing from the glass) it takes away the mirror finish of the glass. If they still hit the screen it gives and they bounce off. Not like hitting hard glass.

Patio door a little trickier.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I got tension rods at Walmart that I can easily take down and put up. I cut strips of vinyl and glued a loop so I could hang them off the rod. Doesn't look bad, I can walk and see through them. It was a pain to mark cut and glue but I don't see why you can't do the same with ribbon or something like that. I looked at decals but they were expensive if I got enough to do the job and you couldn't use window cleaner on them