• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pretty sad.... Just pathetic

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
LaSelva, I was in no way 'brushing it off' but it does happen to all animals. It should be stopped with ALL animals. Parrots aren't just getting the short straw, all animals are subjected to it. Each have their own needs that are destroyed by humans treating them like objects. What I am saying is humans need to realise they are all living beings - all animals, not just parrots. I work with numerous rescues and some of the excuses are downright ridiculous. There have been so many dogs put down because their owner got caught by the real estate and couldn't be bothered rehoming and cats left when people move because 'they can survive on their own'. Just because one is more domesticated than another, does not make it right in the slightest. And yes, given the percentage of dogs/cats compared to birds, it likely ends up levelling out the same as to how many get adequate care. It is unfair to every single one. Helping one animal alone is much less beneficial that helping all.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I did say it raises the question of percentages. And since I don't have those numbers can you tell me what the percentages (in terms of dogs, cats, birds) that you're speaking of are? As well as how or what exactly it is that levels out.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah, its any animal. You see it with dogs, cats, reptiles. For a while people would get rid of their cats during pregnancy because of fear of toxoplasmosis. But, I think more research on that has educated people on proper precautions if any need to be taken. Its amazing how love for a pet vanishes when a baby happens. Part of that is rightfully so. But then, my parents didn't get rid of their dog when they had me.

I live in a really poor, rural area of Iowa and sometimes there are cultural things related to poverty. Its a different attitude. Not always present in the poor, but often present when dealing with generational poverty. They get a pet and love it, but their life is already so ever changing that everything is just temporary with them. I'm not sure they mean LOVE in the same why that I mean it. Its more like, they want to love it and go through the motions of loving it, but life is hard so they'll just love it for now while they can and then move on when they have to. Its easy to let go because they've had to let go of many things over and over again in their life. Not that the wealthy can't be completely superficial and misguided too, but locally I just don't see a lot of pull yourself up by the bootstraps, get yourself a job, and education, make smart relationship decisions, kick the jerks out of your life, keep yourself out of trouble and make whatever it is work. They are willing to let life happen to them rather than taking control and making the life you want happen. Sometimes life sucks and you get married and your spouse becomes abusive or develops an addiction or mental/physical illness and everything in the world turns upside down. I get that, and in those cases it really is best for the pet to go elsewhere. Other times...its hard to change the attitudes and lifestyle people grew up with. People aren't always quite as self aware as they should be and maybe not getting love and stability and support from humans so they look to an animal which their lifestyle will not support keeping long term. Defense mechanisms and all. Not much you can do about that other than be there to help out when people need a new home for their pet and make the cycle end for that animal. And empower people with whatever skills they need to get themselves out of that cycle too.
I wonder if most charities will accept petfood?
Ah yes, toxoplasmosis! We had both a cat and a dog when I was pregnant and had no problems. :wideyed: My (somewhat paranoid) sister-in-law made her husband clean/change the litter box because she was afraid of getting infected. And yet, she fed the cats on the kitchen counter because otherwise their dog would eat the cats' food :wtf:.To keep things in perspective, Vib also would not allow a microwave oven in the house because she was afraid that the microwaves would affect the children's growth & development but had no problem letting them watch cable t.v. ad nauseum. She finally allowed a microwave when she was expecting her 4th kid when I'd told her that cable t.v. used microwaves. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Last edited:

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
the last one tho... yeesh

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Ah yes, toxoplasmosis! We had both a cat and a dog when I was pregnant and had no problems. :wideyed: My (somewhat paranoid) sister-in-law made her husband clean/change the litter box because she was afraid of getting infected. And yet, she fed the cats on the kitchen counter because otherwise their dog would eat the cats' food :wtf:.To keep things in perspective, Vib also would not allow a microwave oven in the house because she was afraid that the microwaves would affect the children's growth & development but had no problem letting them watch cable t.v. ad nauseum. She finally allowed a microwave when she was expecting her 4th kid when I'd told her that cable t.v. used microwaves. Sorry to hijack the thread.

When my wife was expecting we had the baby's room painted, I happened to notice that on the paint can there was a "hazard...birth defects" warning (OK, who wouldn't freak!). I actually called the company over it, and they reassured me of course. I think it's understandable that some level of paranoia kicks in when a couple is expecting. There's a little being coming into their lives that they already love and want to protect from everything. To the extent that it takes precedence over everything else.

What we have to face, as do those doing rescue work, is that a pet for most people is a sideline and was never intended to be their life (which I think domesticated animals fit nicely into). So, if there's a chance of danger then they feel they have a decision to make. It goes back to what I said on another thread. Some view them as family members, others as pets, and still others as utilitarian, or any combination of the three. But overall as beneath us. And our society is not going to elevate them anytime soon. Here in FL the religious stations degrade them constantly along with other alternative lifestyles (another sickening facet of humanity).

I honestly can't see most people keeping their birds if they were in my situation. Me and my wife have nobody here in FL, it's been a struggle to avoid sick-days when the baby has a fever and can't go to daycare, as well as keep the birds quiet so she can sleep. Overall our lives are better here, for sure, but without a support system (in-laws for example) there's little breathing room and it becomes very frustrating. So I guess I understand the "baby" resoning for rehoming. It's very hard to forsee how difficult it can be until one is in it.

If the evening news were to do a piece on "Birdkeepers Lung" I'm sure the rescues would see a spike in the influx of birds, as with any pet related health scare. And I believe that it has happened in the past, although I can't remember the source at the moment. It is simply not in the public forefront now. But if it were, I can just imagine how with every sneeze, every cough, people would be a little more paraniod about the birds they own. Not a good situation because they would be shunned even more. Already thought of as "easy" to keep because the notion is they are relegated to the part of our homes, and the dimension of whatever size cages, we put them in (not the entire home or backyard like dogs/cats). I can see them being shoved even further away to far corners of the home, away from central areas, etc.

Last edited:

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
OMG i thought the same like for real? and the other one that me go what? was the one that said bird talks too much...
That was the one that made me go WHAT?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It always boggles my mind that humans consider themselves as being "above" other animals. My birds are my babies. I have had #3 come into my life as an ultimatum from my long-term (now ex) partner, but was unable to part with any of my birds in the end. Now I am more committed than ever that I shall never allow any human to come between me and my responsibility and love for my birds, no matter how much I love that human. Any human that asks me to rehome any of my birds is the one who will be left behind, which I'll make clear from here on out. :delete::angry: