• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pressure Sore! Need Advice!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello everyone!
An update on Cygni's pressure sores! The one on his foot is getting better, however the one on his hock seems to be getting worse, or in the very least appears more red. I know it can't be his day cage because I have been rotating the perches on a daily basis and it is not red and/or agitated during the day. I have platform perches on the way as well. I think it is how he sleeps, though trying to adjust his habits is rather difficult. He adores sleeping on the bottom of his cage underneath the newsprint I put down there. How I usually set it up is I stack up some newsprint, then I put a piece of cardboard to help cover the bottom bars, and then stack more paper. I believe he sleeps with both feet on the ground though its possible he could be sitting on one foot, thus explaining the hock sore. I used to line the bottom with seagrass, but I thought that might have been the cause and removed it. I am going to place it back in however because the sore seems to be more agitated without it. I am so lost what further to do, because I am rubbing coconut oil on his sore everyday, rotating his perches, cushioning his sleeping area, etc. Perhaps the newsprint could be causing it? He has always used it, but it wasn't until we slightly downsized his bedtime cage that this started to happen. I would question his nighttime perch, but it is an 3/4" natural hardwood perch so I am unsure how it would affect his hock. Any more idea's/advice would be wonderful!