• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pressure Sore! Need Advice!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
So I thought I would gain some insight, how does everyone go about in cleaning their wood perches? I do not have a reliable dishwasher so for the most part, I just wipe off any food material, then spray vinegar/water solution onto a paper towel and wipe it down.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For spot cleaning I use vinegar/water or Nature's Miracle. Every so often I throw them all in the bathtub to soak and get a good scrub. I also disinfect every month or so with F10

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
For spot cleaning I use vinegar/water or Nature's Miracle. Every so often I throw them all in the bathtub to soak and get a good scrub. I also disinfect every month or so with F10
Oh excellent thank you! I'm glad to know I am mostly doing it right! Do you do a light spritz with the f10 or do you scrub and rinse?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh excellent thank you! I'm glad to know I am mostly doing it right! Do you do a light spritz with the f10 or do you scrub and rinse?

I wash first with my cleaning solution, then spray to soak with F10 and leave to dry. Do not rinse! It needs to air dry for maximum disinfection!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
While we are still on the subject of perches, does Petco seem like a good, CLEAN practices, place to purchase wood perches from? They actually have a good supply of large java wood perches for a really good price, but I've never been sure if they are a clean reliable source to obtain bird items from.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I wash first with my cleaning solution, then spray to soak with F10 and leave to dry. Do not rinse! It needs to air dry for maximum disinfection!
Thank you for the instruction!! I've never been too sure how to appropriately use F10 on wood products!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
As long as it can be disinfected I have never had a problem buying them at Petco :)

btw not sure if you know but @Macawnutz has some perches on her site and can usually accommodate length and thickness requests :) Parrot Perches from Seriously Nutz! Large Bird Perches, Custom Sizes, Page 2
Thank you I am glad to hear that! I have only purchased perches through parrot sites such as the birdsafe store and the like! I didn't know that Seriously Nutz has some so I am definitely going to take a look! :D
I currently do not have any F10 :( do you think hot water and vinegar would be enough to disinfect a Petco perch should I decide to purchase one?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you I am glad to hear that! I have only purchased perches through parrot sites such as the birdsafe store and the like! I didn't know that Seriously Nutz has some so I am definitely going to take a look! :D
I currently do not have any F10 :( do you think hot water and vinegar would be enough to disinfect a Petco perch should I decide to purchase one?

Vinegar does not touch a lot of the baddies that you would want to prevent bringing home. If you can't get F10, Bleach would be better than Vinegar. Mix 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, spray all over the wood, and let dry in the sun.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert

Vinegar does not touch a lot of the baddies that you would want to prevent bringing home. If you can't get F10, Bleach would be better than Vinegar. Mix 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, spray all over the wood, and let dry in the sun.
I had a feeling that was the case! Thank you so much for the direction! I'll be sure to disinfect a petco perch properly if I decide to ever get one through there! The ones from Seriously Nutz I'm definitely leaning towards however, and I know they have excellent clean parrot practices! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
This is what I do too, and once in a while if there are stains that won’t go away, I sand them off.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Usually the sleeping perch is to blame. The perch that he roosts on every night. If you have a bird that switches sleeping positions you can usually curb that behavior by putting the favored perch as the highest perch in the cage at the back of the cage.

Most often, sores in the center of the foot are too small diameter. Sores on the back hock are too large in diameter.

Maybe trying a platform perch could help too.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Usually the sleeping perch is to blame. The perch that he roosts on every night. If you have a bird that switches sleeping positions you can usually curb that behavior by putting the favored perch as the highest perch in the cage at the back of the cage.

Most often, sores in the center of the foot are too small diameter. Sores on the back hock are too large in diameter.

Maybe trying a platform perch could help too.
Luckily, my boy is a goofy sleeper lol! He decided years ago that he LOVES to make a paper tent out of the newsprint I line the bottom of the cage with, and camps out underneath next to his favorite paper box I make him every night (I also cushion the bottom with seagrass mats). So thankfully it helped narrow down when and where he sits the most, which I believe to be during the day when I am working. When he is less hormonal, he plays less and tends to sit more. I'm glad I caught them super early, but he has two very minor pressure sores, one on the back hock, and on the center of the foot! :( I think I found the perch that is the culprit so I've been rotating the perches daily now between a 1 1/2" and 3/4" and a few inbetween. I actually am currently buying him a couple platform perches! That is seriously a good idea, and I am going to place those ones where he sits the most. I'm also looking into this one Leather Sofa Perch from Things for Wings your Canadian Source for all Things Parrot! , though this one I would have to monitor just in case he regurgitates on it!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Max sleeps in his hut. I have huts hung at the top of both cages. I’m beginning to think Gus may sleep on a perch or hanging on to the cage bars and not use his hut. Hmmmm...something new to be aware of....there’s so much more to foot health than I knew.
Thanks for the initial question that started this thread. I’ve learned a lot from those who posted.:thanks:.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Max sleeps in his hut. I have huts hung at the top of both cages. I’m beginning to think Gus may sleep on a perch or hanging on to the cage bars and not use his hut. Hmmmm...something new to be aware of....there’s so much more to foot health than I knew.
Thanks for the initial question that started this thread. I’ve learned a lot from those who posted.:thanks:.
Of course! :D I'm still learning even after making the switch to all natural perches and such! :wacky:

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
So somehow while applying a little coconut oil to his feet, I managed to get a little on the feathers near his vent...is this okay? I've managed to take a couple of quick swipes at it with a paper towel, but there is a dull sheen to those couple of feathers.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
So somehow while applying a little coconut oil to his feet, I managed to get a little on the feathers near his vent...is this okay? I've managed to take a couple of quick swipes at it with a paper towel, but there is a dull sheen to those couple of feathers.
I think it'll be fine. Even if the coconut oil is ingested, that small amount isn't a big concern.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I think it'll be fine. Even if the coconut oil is ingested, that small amount isn't a big concern.
I would think so too! I've just never managed to get some on his feathers before lol, so I wasn't sure if that would impact his feathers at all.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
What is F10? I’ve got an aviary disinfectant that I dilute in a spray bottle. Same thing, different brand?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is F10? I’ve got an aviary disinfectant that I dilute in a spray bottle. Same thing, different brand?

It's a veterinary grade disinfect, safe for all pets :)

F10 Products