• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for TAG Baby checklist

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
So, I'm busily setting about figuring the things I will need for my new baby TAG when he comes home in a couple of weeks. I would rather not be scrambling at the last minute for things I forgot, as inevitably happens!

So, obviously:
Cage
additional perches (probably 1 natural branch perch with various diameters on one branch, and a calcium perch, at the very least)
food - pellets, good seed/nut/dried fruit & veg mix, treats
toys!
cuttlebone(s)
millet

I am also trying to pick out a full spectrum light and keep reading conflicting things, and nothing I have read addresses whether LED lights are as good (or worse, or better) than fluorescent, they just talk about fluorescent or incandescent. I'm leaning towards the M&M EZ PetLight LED strip - anyone have any experience with them?

Some inexpensive fleece or the like for the bottom of the cage, at least until I am confident he won't be falling.

Travel cage - I have one already for Tyr that would be big enough for him, but the bars are so thin I don't think I'd feel safe - but, is that really a concern just for a transport cage, if he won't be spending any time in it other than traveling when he's unlikely to try and chew it?

So, what am I forgetting? XD

Also, because he was originally reserved for someone else, they had picked out a name for him (Grayson), and the breeder says he's already responding to it. I am not a huge fan, but I don't hate it. Should I stick with that name since he's already responding to it, or is he still young enough (I will be getting him as soon as he is done weaning) that I can change his name without too much difficulty?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wonderful news for you I used to have a TAG and they are just the best. I suggest you get Harrisons HP pellets because for the first year or two and possible afterwards Greys need the higher calcium than other species. My girl loved them. Have an avian vet all lined up ahead of time too. Most of us use newspaper over the grate on the bottom of the cage. I put down layers for ease of cleaning. I also used a special night lamp that clips to the cage. It is a light intended to help prevent night frights and glows a soft red that does not interfere with a birds sleep cycle. You will find it on Windy City Parrots. I stopped using Featherbright bulbs because in reading about Full Spec. lighting I find too much controversy over whether they are effective. I now use LED lighting from M&M cage company that has a low flicker rate. Birds can see the flickering lights but humans cannot. Only way you can tell is to take a slow motion video of the lighting when it is turned on. ON play back you will see the flickering.

https://breedingcage.com/products/bird-cage-lighting.php

Amazon.com : Harrisons High Potency Coarse 5lb : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Bird Night Fright Night Light Clamp Light With Bulb [5140301004] - $20.00 :

Last edited:

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
199E8ADB-DE7E-4292-BAAF-BDEF9D059250.jpeg

This is my TAG’s traveling crate. It’s a dog crate that has bars in the top. It can open from the top or front. I have toys in there and she loves it.
Agree with Harrison’s HP
Toys
Toys
Toys
Can’t wait to see Pictures.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Congratulations! My first bird as an adult was Tuchis TAG and I was so excited! My friends even threw me a birdie shower! LOL! Lots of easy to kill toys and numerous perches of differing sizes and shapes are a must. I never had a problem with Tuchis falling when he came home. He did want to fly and had been clipped so we went through that mess. I had to buy cling ons for my patio door because he kept running into it. I haven't bothered with lighting in a long time because research out there suggests that it doesn't provide the UVB rays needed to create Vitamin D3. I make sure that all my guys are eating a fortified pellet as part of their diet to ensure they get the Vitamin D3. Also, this is the most important time for learning to eat new foods so make sure that you offer a variety to set him/her up to not be incredibly picky as an adult. Ugh! I love babies...make sure you have a camera ready to take lots of pictures! We love pictures! Get lots of his/her tail too because the baby tails are beautiful! Here's a picture of Tuchis shortly after he came home.

dscn0038.jpg

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
As he grows, I'll definitely go to paper in the bottom, I just know my last grey wasn't very competent at climbing when I first got her, and ended up lining the cage with towels for a few weeks for padding. Probably overly cautious, but I'd rather be too cautious than deal with an injury! (Of course, she also had a bum leg, it might not be an issue with two fully functional ones XD )

The light is more for their visual comfort and to help with proper circadian rhythm and such, I know it doesn't help any with the vitD production (also intend to put it on a timer). Though it confuses me whether the UVA needs to be supplied for their visual benefit if there isn't much ambient sunlight (our living room is in the basement, unfortunately), or whether any of the bulbs available even actually produce UVA.

And I definitely know all about supplying lots of variety (food and otherwise!) while they're babies. And to take lots of pictures. I always end up regretting not having taken enough baby pics, even when I have dozens and dozens! lol

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
For the first few months, keep the perches low in the cage. You don't want them falling.

Kodigirl210

Being where you’re at you might consider getting a heated perch. I’ve found them to be fairly durable and consistent in warmth. Also have you thought of a bedside tent? I usually keep one and throw a heating pad underneath. Great place to nap for the baby while I read right next to them and like my ex’s CAG I hope to teach Sif to sleep in there at night. Bird Tent Large — Varietees Bird Store

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
*sigh* Gonna be 'fun' for a while... apparently he's been weaned onto cockatiel seed mix. Lovely. Hopefully he won't be too hard to get him trying new things.

Still, we get him early Sunday afternoon. So insanely excited! lol

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
So cute!!!

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Very cute. Check your camera or phone so you have plenty of space to take his picture as he grows! post often!

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
From the breeder: “You may have to tear him away. He is the biggest lover. We have been working in "kisses" and "I love you".”

I'm so, so excited. I don't know how I'm going to manage to sleep tonight. Ahhhhhh!!!

Kodigirl210

That’s absolutely wonderful! (Not the not managing to sleep) Except please, please, please name him something other than Grayson :shakehead:... lol. Here’s the best of luck to you! I’m glad it worked out to be a shorter drive in case you get little sleep and lots of caffeine :hehe: :dance5:

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
That’s absolutely wonderful! (Not the not managing to sleep) Except please, please, please name him something other than Grayson :shakehead:... lol. Here’s the best of luck to you! I’m glad it worked out to be a shorter drive in case you get little sleep and lots of caffeine :hehe: :dance5:
Haha... glad I'm not the only one a bit irked by that name. :lol:

I do have a list of potential names picked out. Not going to settle on one till we get to know him a bit, but so far the potentials are:

Hasani/Hassian/Hashaan - handsome
Kito - jewel; precious child
Kamili - He is Perfect
Khamari - moonlight
Tamu - sweet & delightful
Dakarai - happiness
Kendi - loved one; cherished one
Kayode - he brought joy
Aasir - one with a captivating/fascinating personality
Hekima - clever
Keita - blessing; a huge gift
Makalo - he is a wonder

They're all West African names, if that isn't obvious XD So far I think my favorite is Kito, followed by Kendi or Khamari; my spouse likes Aasir.

Kodigirl210

@NirAntae - Kito is definitely cute and would be very easy to for your fid to learn! I’m partial to Makalo because it reminds me of Mahalo & bring Cali well lol. They are lovely names so who votes for Kito Aasir? Especially when he’s being Hekima :rofl::heart::dance4: