• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for a blizzard! Halp

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
So, we're supposed to get a blizzard tonight. More importantly were supposed to get very heavy snow with very high winds.

Me and my boyfriend got talking about what we'd do if the power goes out, his moms house is a few blocks so we'd go there with the cat and the dog... but Piper couldn't go out in the snow.
We're thinking, the bathroom gets ridiculously hot when we crank the heat. Like 90 degrees pass out hot. And it's not much larger than a shower and toilet...

Do yall think that would stay warm enough for a day worst case scenario? We'd blast it all night and plug up the crack with towels and layer 3 out of 4 of his cage walls to try to keep the heat in. I'm not kidding when I say it gets a good 85 in there if we have the heat on...
Ive also heard about hot water bottles? Do they stay hot?
Hopefully none of this will have to happen but I want to be ready!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
human hand warmers also work, you know the type, you open it, shake it and it gets warm. DO NOT put it in the cage!!! wrap it in hand towel and set it under the cage. I have used them in the winter to take birds to the vet.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have run to the car with my birds covered in their travel cages before. I got the car all toasty first. It sounds like your bathroom will stay warm for a while, and a hot water bottle will help, but it depends on how long the power is out and how cold it's supposed to get. Hopefully it won't go out. Ours went out three times this winter, twice for 16 hours each. It's such a pain!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have also used the handwarmers vet wrapped to a perch to keep their feet warm, as that's where they lose the most heat. When our power went out we huddled them all together in travel cages and put a big blanket over them.

We had a gas stove so I was able to boil water and put it under the blanket in the middle of their cages for some steam. Helped a lot. Our power was out for 2 days before we called it quits and went to my parents house, and we were out of power for 6 more days past that. You definitely can take the bird a few blocks down the road, just cover with a towel or blanket and walk fast :)

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I am pretty sure if the power goes and your mother in laws home is just a few blocks away, she isn't going to have power either... you are talking about Jersey, unless she has her own generator. Why can't your birds go out in the cold and make it a few blocks? Cover the travel cages... they will be fine. Use a cat carrier and make a couple trips... I would think it is more dangerous to leave your pet unattended in the house than taking it for a lil stroll in the blizzard.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How did you handle the snow storm???

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
It was a DUD here at the Jersey Shore where I am... It turned to rain and iced up! I didn't even need to snow blow the driveway!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge