• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

predator

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
i had something in my yard yesterday at first i thought it was a coopers hawk but it was white and bigger does anyone have any idea what it could me just wondering

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Last edited:

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
that's what I first thought but i'm in toledo I can't believe a snowy owl would be in my backyard
I live in the deserts of So. Cal. We have large owls here. I have several that are regular visitors to my pine trees in my back yard. The western barn owl has a ghostly white face, chest and belly. Did you see it during the day? I would say most likely a hawk.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be a snowy owl. A lot of red tails have a predominantly white belly and under wings. If all you saw was a flash, your brain might have just registered the flash of white from a juvenile red tail. There are also a few leucistic red tails around. Although, that would be right up there with being as uncommon as a snowy owl.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Could be a snowy owl. A lot of red tails have a predominantly white belly and under wings. If all you saw was a flash, your brain might have just registered the flash of white from a juvenile red tail. There are also a few leucistic red tails around. Although, that would be right up there with being as uncommon as a snowy owl.
no he was sitting on my clothesline post he was all white including his back bigger than a retailed hawk

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even snowy owls usually have some amount of black speckling on them. A leucistic eagle would be even rarer than a leucistic red tail. My vote is that it possibly wasn't even a bird of prey. You are too far east for Ferruginous hawks so that's out for being bigger than a red tail. That leaves eagles none of which are commonly white and snowy owls which are rare and also not pure white. I think you have a UFO on your hands. Unidentified flying object.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Even snowy owls usually have some amount of black speckling on them. A leucistic eagle would be even rarer than a leucistic red tail. My vote is that it possibly wasn't even a bird of prey. You are too far east for Ferruginous hawks so that's out for being bigger than a red tail. That leaves eagles none of which are commonly white and snowy owls which are rare and also not pure white. I think you have a UFO on your hands. Unidentified flying object.
never said it was pure white

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very very slim chance, but could it be an escapee from a falconer/zoo/raptor collection? Gyrfalcons are big and can be light-coloured.