• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potty Training- Good or Bad?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Although birds can be potty trained, I don't think it's a really good idea, especially for smaller birds as they can't really "hold it" like dogs can. If they hold it too long, they can make themselves ill if they can't get to where they're supposed to go for some reason. That said, my cockatoo is potty trained. I didn't teach him. He came to us that way. If we're upstairs for instance, he'll rub his beak against my face and that means he wants to go back downstairs to go to the bathroom. The first time I had him stay at our former bird sitters, he was frantic because he didn't know where to go to the bathroom. I finally figured out that was the problem and showed him where he could go. So although it is nice in many ways that he is potty trained, I do see downside to it and wouldn't have trained him myself to do it.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
@lexalayne

I reached out to a couple of vet friends of mine. Specifically, Dr. Michael Doolen DVM (RET) and DR. James McKinley DVM, MS, DABVP-Avian (who happens to be one of the first board-certified avian vets) and specifically asked "Could potty training a bird have any negative impact on the bird's health? I am asking because it was suggested to me that potty training a bird could specifically - possibly cause 'kidney damage' or 'cloacal prolapse'

Dr. Doolen said "it would be extremely rare for a prolapse and you would have to incorrectly train your bird" he said he would "elucidate" later, that I had caught him a bad time and we could touch base later in the week.

I saw Dr. McKinley this morning. (New Bird Exam - Labs, chipping, etc. We adopted Chilli the CAG from the rehome highway - Chilli is currently in 'Quarantine' from the other birds) Dr. McKinley said "in 30 years of practice he has never seen, nor heard of a bird being physically harmed by potty training - especially not kidney damage" and "while it could 'in theory' be possible to contribute to a 'cloacal prolapse' in practice it would be rare and is nothing he has ever seen or considered to be associated with potty training"

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Well I’m glad that is another myth laid to rest. Regardless, I would not have stopped training my birds as I don’t freak out if they do mess, I’m just glad when they don’t lol :p

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Understanding Parrots: Why Parrots Do What They Do | Beauty of Birds

Honestly my birds don’t poop on each other and they don’t poop on me. I’ve never trained them- some have come to me trained - they’re a bit more stressed about the pooping thing. I only have one bird who cannot fly- the others go off to their tree and poop NBD - I just really think this topic is stupid. And the more of a big deal that’s made about it the more chance u have of screwing up your bird or training them wrong.
Yeah and talking of stupid training ideas I trained this guy to roll over like a dog : NOT - HE JUST DOES IT A0BD5CAF-2D57-4AEA-A991-9FA340FF32F6.png

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo is potty trained and has numerous places to do his bomb! That in noway means he won't do the shoe shuffle and poop on the desk or floor if he is not in the mood to fly back to his designated stations, cage or perches! He also poops on people he doesnt like either... (I try not to praise that behaviour... too much!) It certainly saves a sh.t load of mess and I know where to clean up! Pilo is a very happy chappie and shows no physical or mental issues about it!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Pilo is potty trained and has numerous places to do his bomb! That in noway means he won't do the shoe shuffle and poop on the desk or floor if he is not in the mood to fly back to his designated stations, cage or perches! He also poops on people he doesnt like either... (I try not to praise that behaviour... too much!) It certainly saves a sh.t load of mess and I know where to clean up! Pilo is a very happy chappie and shows no physical or mental issues about it!

Yep if you’re part of their flock pooping on disliked people would definitely be part of the program ... too funny

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I just really think this topic is stupid.
...I tend to agree. ;)

One of the things I always tell people when we're out visiting..."BIRDS POOP"...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
One of the things I always tell people when we're out visiting..."BIRDS POOP"...
:lol:Yes they do! haha

When people know you have birds, the first question is usually: ¨Don´t your birds poop on you?¨ Ummmm no, not really. They do poop on everyone else though :sneaky:

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I just really think this topic is stupid. And the more of a big deal that’s made about it the more chance u have of screwing up your bird or training them wrong.
I totally disagree that this topic is stupid. People should never feel like that they should not ask a question - regardless of the topic. The only stupid question or topic is the one not asked or discussed. The topic was originally posted by PastTheDream because she had questions and concerns about potty training and the possible implications as she understood them.

This created the dialogue that ensued. No question, topic, or discussion is stupid if the person initiating the conversation is genuinely seeking answers - never mind how rudimentary you feel the question. And all genuine questions should be asked regardless of how passionate people might feel about a topic - quality dialogue creates ideas and solutions - even if and especially if people present opposing ideas or information that contradict your belief. Just my humble opinion.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
People should never feel like that they should not ask a question - regardless of the topic. The only stupid question or topic is the one not asked or discussed.
No question, topic, or discussion is stupid if the person initiating the conversation is genuinely seeking answers - never mind how rudimentary you feel the question. And all genuine questions should be asked regardless of how passionate people might feel about a topic - quality dialogue creates ideas and solutions - even if and especially if people present opposing ideas or information that contradict your belief.
I completely agree. I think that is the idea of the forum - people can ask a question, and others give their honest opinions.

I already voiced my opinion on how I feel about this type of training, but I don´t think it is a stupid topic. No bird related questions are bad questions, or stupid questions. It shows that the OP is caring enough to do some research into the subject and find out moe info.

The problems start when people don´t ask questions, for fear of being told it is a stupid question.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I am just as passionate about my U2 who cannot fly (thank you previous owners) and trained her not to poop ever (she’s petrified) on anything human ever. She also repeats how they’re going to kill her. And how they swore at her. So yes in my experience it’s stupid. And. NOTHING changes it. 18 years now. And none of my other adult Toos or adult macaws poop on me. And they were never trained. They don’t poop on each other and they don’t poop on me. I can’t believe someone trained this sweet bird to be so afraid to go to the bathroom.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am just as passionate about my U2 who cannot fly (thank you previous owners) and trained her not to poop ever (she’s petrified) on anything human ever. She also repeats how they’re going to kill her. And how they swore at her. So yes in my experience it’s stupid. And. NOTHING changes it. 18 years now. And none of my other adult Toos or adult macaws poop on me. And they were never trained. They don’t poop on each other and they don’t poop on me. I can’t believe someone trained this sweet bird to be so afraid to go to the bathroom.
I understand completely what you are saying.
But voicing you are against potty training is perfectly ok, but calling the question stupid is not as it will discourage people from asking in the future.
At least OP asked, and can see how it has affected different birds. What if someone was unsure about it but didn´t want to ask over fear of it being called a stupid question or topic, and then went ahead and tried potty training without knowing much info.

I also voiced I don´t agree with it, but I stand by that I don´t find the thread stupid.
IMO I don´t think birds should be trained when and where to poop.
And I´m sorry about your cockatoo, it sounds like she had a really rough life before you found her :(

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I know that this topic is controversial, but I can assure you I don’t have any intentions on messing Neptune up. That is why I asked about this and even said I was leaning toward not potty training- I’m not going to. I just wanted to learn more about this as he’s going to be my first bird and I want to give him the best life I possibly can.

I’m very sorry to hear what awful things your sweet U2 has gone through, but at least she has you now and she’s definitely lucky to. I’m sure you’re giving her a beautiful life.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
There is a major difference between both mentally and physically abusive avian husbandry - which is apparently what your U2 suffered before he was blessed by being placed in your care and properly training the desired behavior.

I know that this topic is controversial, but I can assure you I don’t have any intentions on messing Neptune up. That is why I asked about this and even said I was leaning toward not potty training- I’m not going to. I just wanted to learn more about this as he’s going to be my first bird and I want to give him the best life I possibly can.
While the topic of potty training might be controversial, largely in my opinion due to the prolific misinformation on the subject. Properly training your bird will not mess your beloved bird up... And there is nothing wrong with NOT potty training your bird if you have any concerns at all....

Last edited:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Please know u guys that I’m not cutting anyone down or calling anyone stupid at all or even calling the question stupid. It isn’t at all. But I do think there’s room for mistakes and all birds have different personalities. I’m just saying form a bond with your bird and they’ll do their best not to poop on you. I am talking about larger birds tho. My parakeets left quite a few droppings - my job to clean it up when I was a kid- If they see a hawk out the window though they’ll probably get scared and poop on u.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
:lol:Yes they do! haha

When people know you have birds, the first question is usually: ¨Don´t your birds poop on you?¨ Ummmm no, not really. They do poop on everyone else though :sneaky:

:laughing6:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I totally disagree that this topic is stupid. People should never feel like that they should not ask a question - regardless of the topic. The only stupid question or topic is the one not asked or discussed. The topic was originally posted by PastTheDream because she had questions and concerns about potty training and the possible implications as she understood them.

This created the dialogue that ensued. No question, topic, or discussion is stupid if the person initiating the conversation is genuinely seeking answers - never mind how rudimentary you feel the question. And all genuine questions should be asked regardless of how passionate people might feel about a topic - quality dialogue creates ideas and solutions - even if and especially if people present opposing ideas or information that contradict your belief. Just my humble opinion.
And my humble opinion as well! :yes3:

Now that I know that there is nothing wrong with potty training for sure, I plan on cracking down on Farlie a little bit harder and, we started tonight... :) and that was after he pooped on me... :angry101:

:thanks:

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello everyone, I have a few questions about potty training, and I’m leaning towards not doing it.

If I train Neptune to go in his cage, would he only poop in his cage? Would he not go in his travel cage either then since it isn’t his cage?

Is it possible to teach multiple places for him to go on, like his cage, paper towel, playstand, travel cage, etc.

I know it isn’t good for them to hold it, and I definitely do not want him to feel that he can only go in one place. Especially if/when I take him places, I’m worried he won’t think he can go since his cage isn’t there, even if a paper towel or his travel cage is.

Some say it’s about training on to go on command, not to go in a certain spot. If it were on command, wouldn’t the bird then hold it in their cage too? Waiting for the command? That doesn’t sound safe.

The only reason why I was wondering about this is because I have carpeting but I am going to buy mats to put under his cage and playstand.
It's in the eye of the beholder quite frankly, and you'll find all kinds of opinions. That said, my Zon knows the command "wait" if she's on me getting ready for the big one. Then take her to perch as she waits and tell her ok, go poo. She does and says ick!!!
My grey same thing, knows the wait command, then to perch to poop. He's gotten good to where he'll fly off me to perch, poo, then fly back. I'll ask, where's you go, he's like " grey grey good boy...poop! "
My senny could give a flying poo where he poops at...tried but he's just a bird school drop out...lol.
Twinkie the white budgie, same... poos anywhere.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
What if I'm not around to give the command. Or I will be so engaged in something else that I will forget to give the command? I would be afraid to do so. Too many things can go wrong.
Lol...don't worry....they definitely won't wait for your command....! It's bombs away!!! Hey I had to go really bad the parrot says!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Won't the bird strain himself if he has nothing to eliminate? I've read that straining to poop is also unhealthy.
It's basically watching body language....you can tell when they need to go, and that's when you can have them wait a sec, then poo on perch. Never force a bird to poo on command...if your not sure place them on perch, leave them for a bit and not give the command. It's all about body language and Timing.