• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential Hurt Wing

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Hi again all! Since the last time I've posted Squeak has been an absolute darling and has been becoming closer and closer to me each day, although I may need some advice again. He's a bit clumsy, as most youngin's are, so he does occasionally fall off an arm or perch but usually he springs up just fine. Just now, he was perched on my laptop, enjoying the breeze from my fan when he abruptly fell off. It looked like he was favoring his right wing, and this is the first time I've really heard him screech, it's also the first time he's really tried to bite me when I was trying to comfort him. It's way too late to see a vet around here atm, and it's been a few minutes since he's done it. He seems to walk around fine, but every time he flaps his wings, he screeches again. It is WAY past his bedtime, he usually sleeps earlier but I had him out for a bit because I was at work all day and wanted to make sure we spent some time together before bedtime like we normally do. I realise the obvious answer is 'take him to the vet', but vets are extremely expensive around here. The most detail I can give for him, is he seems to get around fine, he's stretching and preening the wing I think it hurt a lot, but he's still exercising it. he's keeping it slightly held out from his body as well. every now and then he randomly lifts it up, I'm sure it's not helping because that makes him screech too. Any help woudl really be appreciated!

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Additionally, it doesn't look like it hurts at all when I lightly touch it. So it might be to do with the joint?

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
He's eating normally, I can see him doing so in his cage and he's drinking fine.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have a feeling he might have broken a feather, but of course I’m not sure. If it’s poking him funny it hurts. Is he preening that wing a lot? How is he doing now?

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
I have a feeling he might have broken a feather, but of course I’m not sure. If it’s poking him funny it hurts. Is he preening that wing a lot? How is he doing now?
He's preening the normal amount, when I got him up this morning he was stretching his wings out and it didn't seem to hurt. But after that he flapped a bit and then started screeching again. He seems happy enough, we're taking him to the vet soon

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
I've only just noticed a wound under his wing that would almost definitely be causing it. It's good that we're almost at the vet because I'm not sure how to deal with it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope everything goes well and your bird is not too badly hurt.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the vet goes okay!

Leuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Eveleigh
Great news! It turns out my poor baby had broken a blood wing, the vet pulled it and patched him up and when he came back into his travel cage he was singing, chirping and trying to get out onto me! Thank you everyone for the help again, being a first-time birb owner is confusing and a very new and different experience but so far my little Squeak has made it all worth the effort and you guys have made it a smooth ride! This has been a lovely community so far, thanks everyone <3

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that you took Squeak to the vet and that it turned out to just be an irritating broken blood feather.