• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential Health Worry.

Curtis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Curtis
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice, I have a lovely male cockatiel called bobby and he's around 15, we don't know his exact age as he was given to us when he was either one or two when my nan passed away, he's getting old now but still looking good haha, he's had bad trust issues for some unknown reason (something must of happened when he was at my nan's) but we work hard with him and try and give him the best life possible, he's a spoilt little boy and I love him.

Anyway, for the past few months, I've noticed something a bit weird, I've looked up about it before but it didn't seem to be an issue but it still concerns me, basically, from what it looks like to me, one of his nostrils is partially blocked, but the other seems fine, there's definitely a difference, websites say that inflamed red nostrils are a warning sign but his aren't red so I just want to make sure nothing is wrong, also a website said that cockatiel's have a nose cover thing inside their nose that some people mistake for a blocked nose, this doesn't look like that though.

Please see the image of him I've attached, the close up is of the affected nostril, the other one shows his normal looking one.

Thanks if anyone can help me out.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Someone else on the forum just went through this with their bird, I can't remember what kind of bird it was. I would have an Avian Vet take a look at it just to make sure it isn't something that needs to be treated.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
My son takes one of this cockatiels in about every six months for a nasal flush. Kind of common I hear.
His other cockatiel doesn't need the flush.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a cutie. :) I couldn't really tell from the picture, but sometimes stuff does get stuff in there. Do you bathe him? A bath or misting might help loosen it up if something is stuck. Is he acting okay otherwise?

@CeciliaZ ? @rocky'smom ?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
time for a vet check. Sweet Pea roots in her soft foods and tends to get stuff in her nares. she such a good girl most often I can pick it out. but I DO NOT suggest doing this yourself, my vet taught me how to do it.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
They do get stuff in their nares. One of my tiels had a seed or hull stuck. Took him to the vet but by the time we got there - it had worked itself out. A vet check is a good idea. None of my tiels have ever needed a nasal flush. I do try and mist or bathe them regularly.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
They do get stuff in their nares. One of my tiels had a seed or hull stuck. Took him to the vet but by the time we got there - it had worked itself out. A vet check is a good idea. None of my tiels have ever needed a nasal flush. I do try and mist or bathe them regularly.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hi, and welcome to the Avenue! I couldn't see your picture, but it sounds like he just might have feather dust in his nose. Is he sneezing or does he have any discharge? If he hasn't been to the vet recently, you might want to take him for a check up.
You could try bathing him or taking him into a steamy shower, which should help clear up his nares.