• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential addition

Am I the world's biggest softie?

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay! Congratulations :)

I have a baby gecko (marbled I think) living in my new bedroom. I see it from time to time so I am extra careful when moving anything in there.
We also found that a baby skink has made itself at home in our laundry cupboard so I’ve made it so there’s nothing in that cupboard that anyone needs to get so I am the only one that will be going in that cupboard. My family put up with my weird ways, if they find them in the house they catch them and put them outside...I leave them to do their own thing unless they will be in danger.
I don’t actually have reptiles as pets (I did as a kid for a while) but they are welcome to stay where they are as long as they like.
We were told that there’s a big blue tongue lizard living in our garden somewhere so I hope my dogs haven’t annoyed him and made him move on....I haven’t seen him yet.
I found this beautiful girl in my garden a few years back. She was such a gorgeous blue tongue. At my current house we have a water-dragon in the garden. She is fun to watch.

View attachment 300110
What a coincidence, I have a blue tongue here, too!

Though, she's not in my garden. :p

doradora.JPG

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
she decided that she wasn't hungry, and instead climbed onto my hand and fell fast asleep on my wrist.
And now you can't move until she does. :D There are worse things than being stuck with a cutie gecko.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a coincidence, I have a blue tongue here, too!

Though, she's not in my garden. :p

View attachment 300175

She is gorgeous. Is she a mutation? She seems so bright and has more white than what I see in the wild. I do not know much about keeping them as companion animals. Are they interactive like beardies?

Some lovely mum nearby had baby blue tongues because now every time I move a rock or branch babies are running to a new hide. The babies are nearly black. I haven't inspected one more closely, because they are already working so hard at surviving I don't want to interfere. I have not found water dragon babies. That lovely lady clearly just enjoys my front steps and garden for sun bathing.

49132434_1010628799123074_7851508698819067904_n.jpg

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not know much about keeping them as companion animals. Are they interactive like beardies?

Some are, some aren't. My girl prefers to be left alone so I respect that :) Eta:o:ps sorry that's about a leopard gecko LOL

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is gorgeous. Is she a mutation? She seems so bright and has more white than what I see in the wild. I do not know much about keeping them as companion animals. Are they interactive like beardies?

Some lovely mum nearby had baby blue tongues because now every time I move a rock or branch babies are running to a new hide. The babies are nearly black. I haven't inspected one more closely, because they are already working so hard at surviving I don't want to interfere. I have not found water dragon babies. That lovely lady clearly just enjoys my front steps and garden for sun bathing.

View attachment 300180
She's actually an Indonesian species of blue tongue, from Irian Jaya (Papua)! I loooove the Aussie species too. Blueys are just so perdy...and feisty. :swoon:

They're not quite as chill as beardies, and they're often jokingly called "angry sausages" in the community because they're so sassy, but they typically tolerate handling just as well as a beardie. Species vary in temperament; for example, Northerns are by far the most common, and the most docile, whereas the Tanimbar is extremely aggressive and is more of a look-but-don't-touch lizard.

They are all very interactive little guys with tonnes of personality, though. They love going for walks and exploring new things and climbing all over everything. Definitely not skittish!

I'm constantly in a state of pure envy of you guys down in Oz. I adore reptiles and spiders, and you guys have almost all of my favourites. Bring me your fauna!! :lol:

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She's actually an Indonesian species of blue tongue, from Irian Jaya (Papua)! I loooove the Aussie species too. Blueys are just so perdy...and feisty. :swoon:

They're not quite as chill as beardies, and they're often jokingly called "angry sausages" in the community because they're so sassy, but they typically tolerate handling just as well as a beardie. Species vary in temperament; for example, Northerns are by far the most common, and the most docile, whereas the Tanimbar is extremely aggressive and is more of a look-but-don't-touch lizard.

I'm constantly in a state of pure envy of you guys down in Oz. I adore reptiles and spiders, and you guys have almost all of my favourites. Bring me your fauna!! :lol:

Well that makes sense about the colour difference. I have always thought about getting a beardie, but I haven't gotten one yet. I am not sure I will. They are cute. I am just not sure I need a lizard to enjoy them if you know what I mean. My partner used to keep a python. He loved her, but he also said that he felt as though they aren't really good pets. They don't really want anything to do with us. I mean my goldfish do backflips in the morning when they see me. His python would have been ok if we all died and she could just keep on living. He had her for 15 years, they had some interesting adventures together. He ended up giving her to a dedicated python owner who lost an elderly python. I don't think she cares that she moved.

I am 98% sure Waffles (my goldfish) knows who I am. They have done some research with goldfish that illustrates they remember their friends by their faces. I think they are just more gregarious and social so they care a little bit more about who feeds them. This might just be my own thing though. My only interaction with beardies is basically cute youtube videos. I am sure those owners will tell me how they care about their people :)

You are so correct! I love the wildlife in Australia. This is why I am against using pesticides around my home...nearly all my neighbors spray. Why do that?! It is like the saddest thing you can do to all the families just trying to get by and live. They unknowingly feed their offspring poisoned food.. or there simply aren't any geckos around anymore.

I am living against a piece of protected bushland. It is a rain forest, I will not spray! People complain about a freaking cockroach.. give me a break! Just clean up after yourself.. no need to spray! The insects don't decide to live with you because they like you.. oh it gets under my skin. :explode:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well that makes sense about the colour difference. I have always thought about getting a beardie, but I haven't gotten one yet. I am not sure I will. They are cute. I am just not sure I need a lizard to enjoy them if you know what I mean. My partner used to keep a python. He loved her, but he also said that he felt as though they aren't really good pets. They don't really want anything to do with us. I mean my goldfish do backflips in the morning when they see me. His python would have been ok if we all died and she could just keep on living. He had her for 15 years, they had some interesting adventures together. He ended up giving her to a dedicated python owner who lost an elderly python. I don't think she cares that she moved.

I am 98% sure Waffles (my goldfish) knows who I am. They have done some research with goldfish that illustrates they remember their friends by their faces. I think they are just more gregarious and social so they care a little bit more about who feeds them. This might just be my own thing though. My only interaction with beardies is basically cute youtube videos. I am sure those owners will tell me how they care about their people :)

You are so correct! I love the wildlife in Australia. This is why I am against using pesticides around my home...nearly all my neighbors spray. Why do that?! It is like the saddest thing you can do to all the families just trying to get by and live. They unknowingly feed their offspring poisoned food.. or there simply aren't any geckos around anymore.

I am living against a piece of protected bushland. It is a rain forest, I will not spray! People complain about a freaking cockroach.. give me a break! Just clean up after yourself.. no need to spray! The insects don't decide to live with you because they like you.. oh it gets under my skin. :explode:
I for sure get what you mean! I've had reptiles who definitely knew me and would even refuse to be touched/handled by anyone else, but for the most part they're definitely just "leave me alone and once in a while you can watch me slither across this rock or something" pets.
:lol:
My skink breaks the classic herp mould in regards to how much she actively enjoys being handled, but I've known many a reptile who would rather play dead than play with their human. :laughin:

Goldfish absolutely are smarter than most people give them credit for! My pair, without question, know who I am; I've done 'experiments' with a group of friends to note the differences in their behaviour when we all did the exact same thing, one by one, in front of their tank, and they were infinitely more excited when it was me. Their friendliness and willing nature even made it possible for me to teach them a few tricks. They play basketball, and Baoshi can jump through hoops! :heart: I'll have to post videos of them one day.

My heart breaks for the creepy crawlies of the world and the instinctive hatred that so many people have toward them...I never bother the bugs and spiders who come to live in my home, especially during winter, but I'm treated like I'm crazy for not killing them or chucking them outside. What harm have they done?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Y'all're making me want fish again. If I thought I could handle a tank on top of everything else I might try, but unfortunately it's all I can do to keep up with the house, birds and dogs. :shocked5:

I've kept all sorts of fish, but goldfish have always been my favorites. They always had more personality than the tropicals, at least in my experience. :xflove:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I had fun with dwarf cichlids too. I used to keep german blue rams.. super personable are fun fish. They are much easier to care for than goldfish :) Oh our lovely messy goldies! :xflove:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I agree that the "creepy-crawlies" get portrayed as way worse than they actually are. I had 2 millipedes, they were so sweet (especially my smokey oak, she was a polite little lady) and everyone who saw them in person hated them and would make comments about how disgusting they are, or how they can't believe I had bugs in my house.

Well number 1, millipedes aren't bugs, they're arthropods. Number 2, millipedes aren't gross. They eat rotting wood and leaf matter. If our forests had no millipedes, they would drown in their own leaf litter. And number 3, who are you to tell me my pets are gross? Do I come into your home and tell you your children are ugly? People don't take others into consideration before they speak.

There are certain ones I have a major aversion too (scorpions and spiders, particularly tailless whip scorpions no thank you) but if you have them and you like them, I'm not going to tell you that your pets are terrible or whatever. Who does that anyway?

I love the odd pets- the frogs and toads, the uncommon lizards like uromastyx and tegus, the creepy crawlies like millies, the weird fish like plecos and upsidedown catfish (or maybe I just really like catfish, lol). Just because they may not be conventionally beautiful doesn't mean they aren't worth loving.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Do I come into your home and tell you your children are ugly?
Too polite, even when it's true! :embarassed: Why can't other folks be just as respectful of peoples' choices?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My absolute favourite fish are acus farlowella. They are an ancient species. 100% herbivores and super sweet with each other. I kept a female before. I got her as a little baby and kept her for 6 years. I gave my tank to an up and coming fish keeper. The girl was very switched on, really showed some knowledge of fish. She promised she would care for my lovely Augustina. Well I contacted her and found that my girl died, so that was fricking heart breaking. The new care taker filled the tank with unconditioned water from the hose directly on the tropical aquarium fish.. so I was very disappointed and shocked. I regretted giving her up, was in tears.

Picture of my old tank, can you find Augustina?

2012-12-06_21-04-28_929.jpg

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has a name! She is now officially Tandoori Masala! :xflove:
:lol: