• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Post-Vet Behavioural Changes

Grnchkosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced behavioural changes in their bird(s) after a visit to the vet?

I have a 7 year old green-cheek who I took to our vet (Avian certified) two days ago for a check-up, standard nail clip, a small beak file (she refuses to chew and therefore ends up with a VERY sharp tip). She has been favouring one foot, which I'm not overly concerned about as I know they did nick a vessel on one toe, but she has been very low energy ever since I brought her home. She NEVER naps during the day (someone is almost always home with her), but yesterday and today she has been full on tucking her head into her back and conking out for periods as long as a half an hour at a time. She is eating and drinking, but not into consuming much other than sunflower seeds and pecans.... Should I be worried?

I don't think she has ever experienced a dremel before this vet visit (we just adopted her from my cousin in May), so I'm wondering if the fear/adrenaline from that and being toweled for the exam/trims may have just been a bit too much for her all at once?

If you've ever experienced this, I'd really appreciate any responses. She was in perfect health according to her exam results, so I'm not thinking this is illness related... But you never know. :(

Thanks in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The only changes I noticed in my baby macaw after his very first vet visit is that he was no longer trusting of the towel being near him or draped over his back. I worked on that with him and all is fine in regards to towels again he even plays under them if I lift them up for him. The changes you are describing are nothing I have experienced, have you called the vet to have a chat with them about what you are seeing that you feel is different to before your visit?

Grnchkosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
The only changes I noticed in my baby macaw after his very first vet visit is that he was no longer trusting of the towel being near him or draped over his back. I worked on that with him and all is fine in regards to towels again he even plays under them if I lift them up for him. The changes you are describing are nothing I have experienced, have you called the vet to have a chat with them about what you are seeing that you feel is different to before your visit?
Haven't called the vet yet, as I didn't want to seem like I was overreacting. I'll be calling in the morning though, now that I've watched this going on for two days. She's mid-molt as well, so the new napping routine may just be coincidental; it's just incredibly bizarre that she was taking zero naps and is not taking frequent, long ones.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Is she eating and pooping normal?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I would not be a happy camper if they nicked my nail and made it bleed. A dremel is safe, but it's puts out heat quickly. Give it a day to see how your bird is acting.

A bad experience can alter anyone's mind!

Grnchkosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I would not be a happy camper if they nicked my nail and made it bleed. A dremel is safe, but it's puts out heat quickly. Give it a day to see how your bird is acting.

A bad experience can alter anyone's mind!
Yeah, I'm wondering if the dremel maybe just scared her because she's never had it done before? Between this and the molt, I'm hoping she's just trying to conserve her energy. I'm also keeping a close eye on her because she's been a fan of dark spaces lately... I'm really hoping there are no egg lays in our futureo_O

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yeah, I'm wondering if the dremel maybe just scared her because she's never had it done before? Between this and the molt, I'm hoping she's just trying to conserve her energy. I'm also keeping a close eye on her because she's been a fan of dark spaces lately... I'm really hoping there are no egg lays in our futureo_O
Just keep a watchful eye on her. Yes, the good old eggie time! Thankfully no signs of eggies with Sophie, hope I don't see any ever!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
It must have been very stressful for her. Hope she bounces back tomorrow.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is she doing today?

Grnchkosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
How is she doing today?
Hi Wendy, so sorry for not getting back to you!
Miss Pen is doing fine :) She had about a week and a half there that she was out of sorts, but I'm just chocking it up to anxiety from the vet visit, and her nails being cut WAY too short. She's still having some issues gripping while climbing, but there is no more foot favouring.

Thank you <3

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m wondering if she was in pain from the nail bleed and stressed as well. I think cut nails can be very painful for them. I’ve had my caique hold his foot up for days, crying, after this has happened. He is definitely not himself. It hasnt happened in a few years, thank goodness, and I always tell the trimmer to go light on him.

Grnchkosaurus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I’m wondering if she was in pain from the nail bleed and stressed as well. I think cut nails can be very painful for them. I’ve had my caique hold his foot up for days, crying, after this has happened. He is definitely not himself. It hasnt happened in a few years, thank goodness, and I always tell the trimmer to go light on him.
Hi there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer :) I absolutely think this is what the issue was. I was actually quite shocked at how short they trimmed her nails, so it's no wonder one of her toes was so sore after. She was having issues balancing for the longest time and still can't even climb up the back of the couch... Not super impressed. I'll have to be pretty explicit in letting them know how much can be trimmed the next time she goes in.

And she was DEFINITELY stressed from the experience. The last time she was at the vet, it was an emergency related to egg binding. Pretty sure she is always going to be miserable for a bit after we take her :(