• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post Dogfight Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Do you ever wonder if maybe some other countries have it right and you should turn your dogs into stew? I've had one of those days.

I've got two German Shepherds. One of them is a 'hard' female, and 'reactive,' which really just translates into 'hard headed and of the bite-first, question later' mentality. I love her dearly. No, I really do. She is a wonderful dog, great to work, and would gladly die in the attempt to do anything I ask her to do. My other is a male that has 25lbs on her, is fairly easygoing and dopey.

She was excited because we were out playing. She was also frustrated because we were not playing fetch and she has a hard time with non-structured activity. I put them in a sit-wait, ran 100ft away and called them to me. I was praising and petting the male when she went after him. He, naturally, fought back.

Together they outweigh me, but I have long since learned to break up dog fights. NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GRAB FOR THE COLLARS! You will be bitten if you do. I grabbed her tail, dragging her backwards and kicked the male in the side a couple of times and yelled at him. He went, "Oh, wait? What? Stop? Okay." And laid down when I told him to. I had to hold onto the female (still by the tail) for a bit longer because she was still trying to lunge after him. Really, they do get along, but when you have multiple dogs with high drives and reactivity that are rescues with questionable backgrounds, an occasional fight is just par for the course. It's about one a year here. She's always the instigater.

Then we finished our walk home, dripping blood, hosed her off in the tub, checked the male (no damage) and went off to get some antibiotics. Being a vet student has some advantages- I can shave and clean the wounds myself and the doctors trust me enough that they'll take my word on the damage rather than insisting on an emergency appointment. Now she looks a bit like frankenstein's monster. She's got a hole in either side of her face and one under chin at the throatlatch. She's miserable and can't rest her head in any position. On one hand, she brought it upon herself, on the other, she's pathetic and I just gave her some pain meds so she'll be more comfortable.

I also have to wash my coat because she shook blood all over it. I love my dogs, I really do. So why is it that I want to strangle them sometimes?
Picture of the damage here: Pictures by SharpieBird - Photobucket
It's all clipped, cleaned and she's been washed up, so it doesn't look too bad. But when they're covered in blood and you're trying to figure out where it's coming from it seems a whole lot worse.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
:omg: Sounds like you were ****ed. I'm glad you were able to seperate them.That seems like a lot of work ,not to mention dangerous. I didn't know you could pull them apart by the tail? :jawsmiley:
They are really beautiful dogs:heart: and Birds!
Looks pretty painful for her:huh: . what a day

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
So far as breaking up dogfights goes, pulling them apart by their tails is the safest way to do it if you don't have a hose handy. You could still get bitten, but it takes a little longer and you get a little more warning before the teeth get to where you are.

Hopefully this is our quota for the next 12 months. I don't enjoy it. So far as the dogs are concerned, it's long past though. They're back to being friends, though Amber is a bit depressed from the pain and/or the pain drugs. Sometimes I wish people forgave and forgot so quickly.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
We keep our two female dogs separated now, but when they were together and fighting, hosing them down did not faze them at all. Wish I'd know about the tail pulling!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh my..I am glad you didn't get bitten! I used to have a m/f pair of dogs who would fight over food on occasion. It was mostly noise though.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
btw..LOVE this pic:heart:

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Silly girl! Now she has holes in her! Maybe now she'll think before she starts to attack next time (yea, right :cool:)

Anyway, I hope you'll have a long stretch of peace now! And I hope she heals quickly!
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.