• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possibly sick?

music2music

Meeting neighbors
It'd be too much for the bus, and I'm not sure about getting a ride from other people. The vet is 18 miles away. My mom and I are going to clean his vent ourselves in a few days as I try to find a closer vet. We agreed to contact a vet if it comes back after cleaning it ourselves.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have your mom read the posts here so she can see what people are recommending.
Maybe you can tell her that you will pay for the vet visit or if you don't have the $$$ you would do extra chores around the house.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Express concerns about his welfare and that he needs to see a vet as he could be really sick, birds hide their symptoms so they don't get picked off by predators.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We see this quite often. Young people get a bird and bird gets sick. Did you happen to discuss this potential with your parents prior to getting the bird? 26 minutes to drive to a vets office is a short drive. Please tell your parents for me that this bird should be seen as soon as possible. Ultimately the responsibility for the bird lies with them because you are underage. Can you do some work about the house or for neighbors to help?

Did you get the unfiltered apple cider vinegar? Mix 2 tsp in one quart of water and given this this every am and freshen in the pm. Birds get the water dirty during the day. As long as the bird has diarrhea leave off any fresh greens or fruits.

I give my budgies this vinegar for one week out of every month even when they are not sick.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
I'm going to have my mom help me with cleaning his vent hopefully Wednesday. The only avian vet around seems to be the one I mentioned earlier. I'm going to keep emailing places until then, since that's the most I can do at the moment. If the vent seems to become dirty real fast again, I'll have my mom book him an appointment as soon as they can make it, well trained or not.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
And 26 minutes seems far only because there's a vet 5-10 minutes away from me, but they don't seem to have an avian vet.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
Fastest way to get there is by traveling on the interstate. Can take 44+ minutes by taking an alternate route and avoiding the interstate.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Will your budgie get into a shallow bath? That way he can walk in it and possibly get his vent wet for cleaning. Vinegar?

music2music

Meeting neighbors
I gave him a few baths and they seemed to relieve him for a bit. I haven't tried vinegar only because I've never used it before. I looked online and it may be his perch covers causing this- he LOVES to chew on them. So, I'm going to take them out later after school when he's more awake.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
I use the wooden ones that came with the cage and a perch that looks like a twig from Petco. I use 1 perch cover per wooden perch cover and leave the other one coverless.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I just want to say that I think you are doing a great job. You are a new owner and you are here asking questions, getting help, trying out the things you are getting advice on. Most people would not be doing that much.

I also can understand that sometimes a vet bill given a family's financial situation is not always an option. However, you are willing to do this, if what you have done so far doesn't work. I think that is to be commended also.

Knowing what to do, for first aid at home, is vitally important regardless of the kind of animal that you have. I had horses for many many years and other animals and there were lots of times that I was able to successfully treat the animal. Because it was simple first aid. Then, of course, there were times that an emergency vet call needed to happen. Fortunately for me, there were times my wonderful vet was able and willing to walk me through what to do, and it didn't need him to come. (that was once when one horse colicked). (Horses like to have emergencies on Friday nights - rather than during working hours, at least it seemed like it) (3-4-5 in the morning - even better, more exciting)

I think it shows that you are responsible, mature young person. And intelligent too and very much love and care for your little budgie. :)

music2music

Meeting neighbors
Update:
I was just cleaning his cage. His poop looks and smells normal. He hasn't gotten worse. His vent is still dirty, but hasn't gotten worse. I haven't gotten the chance to clean his vent for him, I have had a busy week. I got rid of one perch cover yesterday and the other today, so maybe that can help.

I haven't found any avian vets closer, but at least there's one no more than an hour away.

I got out 2 budgie books from the library yesterday, so I'm going to write things that seem important down for future reference.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
By 'the wooden ones that came with the cage', do you mean those smooth wooden dowels with sandpaper covers? Those really aren't good for birds, especially if they have a sandpaper or grit coating. You should replace those with natural wooden perches asap. If price is a problem, you could collect branches from any bird-safe, pesticide and herbicide free tree in your yard, bake them at a low temp and cut them to fit the cage.

Last edited:

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
There is a list on here of the safe tree branches you can use. Not sure which state you are in, but I am sure that you can find some free ones - just be sure they are from a place that has not had pesticides sprayed on them. The thin ones are great for parakeets. My guy and others' budgies like to do acrobatics on the thin branches.

There are lots of good instructions for doing exactly what @Garet suggested on this site.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Make sure the branches aren't near road, they'll soak up car fumes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any branches used for perches best to be fresh fallen. It is easy to find good ones after or on a windy day. That way they have not been laying on the ground too long and tiny critters burrow their way into the wood. You can identify a tree in the winter by the bark and also get a tree ID book from the library. After you clean them or soak them you can attach them to the cage with small zip ties.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
I'm most likely going out this weekend, I'll be on the lookout for new perches. They need to be replaced anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm not sure if I can get any this weekend, but I'll be getting new ones soon.

After removing the perch covers, he seems to be scratching and grooming at his vent less. Even though I've been in school most of the day all week, I have noticed some improvement. :)

music2music

Meeting neighbors
Update:
Taking out the perch covers is seeming to work! I gave him his bath and some poop seemed to come off. His vent looks cleaner than it was when it first started. He also doesn't seem to care that his perch covers are gone- he just moved on to chewing other things instead of his perches and perch covers.

I'm also in the process of finding new perches for him, so I'll make sure to keep in mind to get nothing with grit on it.