• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possibly eggbound lovebird?

ickievickie

Checking out the neighborhood
My girlfriend and I have been excitedly watching her two lovebirds prepare for their first clutch in this house, but Mochi (the mom) has had a visible egg bum for a little over a week now and we are both quite worried about her. This is not her first time laying, but we do not know how many times she has laid before. neither of them are hand tame, so getting a hold of her to see it up close is quite difficult. We have done a bunch of research on eggbinding and she does not seem to be showing any other signs... she still has quite an appetite, has all of her usual personality, and moves around and perches just fine. I took some pictures of her butt yesterday and while observing her I noticed what appeared to be straining to poop, but this is the first potential sign she has shown. We have plans to see an avian vet as soon as possible, but the next issue becomes bringing her in as she is scared of our hands. Any and all advice is appreciated, and I have included a picture of her. B2FCE98E-42F2-40CF-BEE8-14B566AD99A5.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
has had a visible egg bum for a little over a week now

When the egg is about to be laid, you can really see it, I don´t just mean she´s all swolen and big, but you can see the shape of the egg there.

Along with laboured breathing, her wings will droop. She will be big in general and fluffy. You will notice a very different stance she will take on.

If all of this has been happening for a week you have a very big problem and a vet visit ASAP is needed.

My hen lets out big poops around the time of laying.

What does your hen eat? How much time does she spend flyng? These are important questions. If your hen has poor diet and does not fly, she will be more prone to problems laying. A healthy bird is much less likely to encounter problems.

This is not her first time laying, but we do not know how many times she has laid before.
How old is the bird? How do you know it is not her first clutch?

What is her nesting set up? Can you post some pictures of the cage and nest?

Welcome to the forum,

Ps, My laying hen is also afraid of hands and will not be handled.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@ickievickie Hi, How is your bird? Has she laid an egg or did you go to the vet?