• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Tumor/Egg Bound Budgie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yup. That's no egg. :(

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I had a budgie whose presenting symptoms were abdominal swelling...but no bare skin, sitting low, and a poopy bottom. Turned out to be ovarian cancer. :(

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Cancer is so prominent in budgies these days, especially in the US. They are so in-bred, that it has become common that budgies, though meant to live for 10-15-20 years, now typically live 8-10 years. Not to mention the cancer thing. :(

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Ok, this is Andrea back, and I got to meet these little guys.

The bulge on the "female" is very soft....the outside feels sticky and it is liquid and almost gelatinous feeling. I always thought tumors were hard??

The boy is so darn thin, he slipped right through my hand when I went to transfer cages. Ugh.

We do have them set up in our bedroom which I believe my husband mentioned has no air flow between rooms (we have baseboard heating and no central air) and will be very crazy about hand washing and clothes changing. It makes me nervous, but I can't let these little guys sit somewhere unloved like this. They have a vet appointment on Saturday, the soonest we could get them in for non-emergency visits.

Anymore advice besides plenty of TLC???

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
that sounds a lot like how Jades was

wouldn't a lump be considered an Emergency? I know I considered Jades a huge emergency because it seemed to appear over night - I know it didnt But when we put them to bed she was fine no droopy wings no lumps to be seen Went in the next morning her wings were dropping and there was a lump about the size of a Quarter maybe a bit bigger

hope it is nothing serious - Like jades just got hers drained put on baytril and she's been fine ever since

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
She's been living with it, so I'm not sure about it being an "emergency". It didn't just appear overnight like that apparently. There's no drooping wings or discharge and she's perching normally. Obviously, I want her to be looked at quickly, please don't misunderstand my saying it's not an emergency, but I can't take off work to do so unless it's absolutely URGENT. I'll be watching her very closely over the next few days...

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
This sounds and looks a lot like Miracle's abdomen. She had fluid building in her abdomen from end stages of liver failure. She eventually had a lot of trouble breathing because the fluid was pushing against her air sacs which is when she had to be euthanized. Again, you would have to see a vet to be sure.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor baby. There are so many things it could be. I have a chronic egg layer who prolapses as well as a conure who has had a "growth" in her cloacal area with so far two surgeries and a third coming up soon....the only way to know for sure is with a vet visit.

Let us know what you find out....

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
This sounds and looks a lot like Miracle's abdomen. She had fluid building in her abdomen from end stages of liver failure. She eventually had a lot of trouble breathing because the fluid was pushing against her air sacs which is when she had to be euthanized. Again, you would have to see a vet to be sure.
That's a possibility because they were on CRAP seed. I mean, my budgies are seed junkies here, but it's one that has a good mix with all different types and veggies and fruits put in it (Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill). This was 90% millet. And that's what she's been eating for as long as she was there....
Of course I pray to God it's not because her mate I'm sure is going to be fine with a checkup and a little weight gain.

We'll find out Saturday.... :(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:hug8: praying that it is something that can be easily remedied. Bless you guys for taking these little ones in

Status
Not open for further replies.