• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible to trains tiel to hold food in foot?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
just wondering, as I saw one video of a tiel holding its treat in its foot, and my tiel is young and she uses her feet a lot and climbs a lot on toys that aren't very easy to climb up, so I figure she could hold her food but she doesn't realize it's possible? Lol. So can this behaviour be learned?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Neither of my tiels does it. I don't know if you can teach it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not as instinctive for them to eat with their feet since they eat on the ground where things are already stationary. In the trees where other birds primarily are eating, this isn't the case!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatiels are not known for holding stuff in their feet. I don’t even know how you would teach something like that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have one tiel that eats all her pellets by holding them in her feet, I have another who eats some things with his feet, one who rarely ever holds things in her feet, and one who never holds things in her feet. I read somewhere that playing a lot with foot toys with your bird when they are young will help develop that skill, and one of my birds who frequently uses his feet used to love foot toys when he was little.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Now if only I could find a foot toy small enough for a cockatiel :) when I hold raffia or bamboo in my hand she tries to hold on to it to "kill it" lol.