1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible stroke (cockatiel)

Discussion in 'Cockatiel Corner' started by Mutty, 5/10/18.

1. Mutty

Mutty Checking out the neighborhood

Hello
    I have a cockatiel (20y) he is now constantly leaning his head to one side and walking around the cage with us head facing awkwardly upwards , my instincts tell me he's had a stroke ? and also a bald patch has suddenly appeared on his head
    I also feel if it was a stroke It's may effectived his eye sight ?
    Can anyone help me ?
    Regards

2. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Vendor Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Get him to the vet right away. No one can diagnose this online.

Lady Jane, webchirp and TikiMyn like this.
  3. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party!

Deanna
    Aw, poor birdie. I hope you can get an experienced vet to check him out and that he will be okay!

TikiMyn likes this.
  4. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Could also be neurological trauma from an accident.

Your bird needs medical attention.

Laurul Feather Cat and TikiMyn like this.
  5. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party!

Robin
    Can you please get him to an avian vet? He or she will be able to help him:) I hope he will be okay.

6. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    I agree with everyone else. I believe you need to see a vet. My cockatiel did have a stroke. So a stroke is a possibility. How long has he been like this? I hope he will be okay.

7. blewin

blewin Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Ben
    It's possible...but you need to go to an avian vet.

8. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road

Garet
    I really hope you've listened to the people here and taken him to a vet. It could be anything from an inner ear infection to a neck or head injury to parasites to a stroke or a whole host of other things. :c Good luck with your little guy!

9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Sorry about your 'tiel. Hope you got him to the vet. Please keep us updated.

10. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor

Chandra
    He could also have hit his head given the missing feathers. Getting a bird to a vet immediately may save his life. Swelling from head trauma can occur up to 72 hours later. My vet gives a large dose of metacam and then normal doses for 5-10 days to help with swelling that may occur. If it is a stroke, there are meds that can help as well. Please see a vet asap.

Monica, blewin and TikiMyn like this.
  11. Mutty

Mutty Checking out the neighborhood

Hello All
    I have taken out tiel to the vet he has confirmed a ear infection but cannot rule out a stroke ,are there any additional foods which can help with a ear infection (we where subscribe drops orally from the vet ) can anyone advise the best way to give the drops (not used to being handled)
    Kinds Regards
    Mutty

webchirp likes this.
  12. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Do you have a second person to help you hold this bird while you give the drops? You can get him in a towel and hold him that way. Did you ask the vet how to give them? Vets will usually demonstrate for you.
    The best way is to hold them on a towel like a taco, and hold them under the chin. Let the towel hold the rest of the body and only make it snug, enough to hold the wings, not tight. Do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Hold them upright in more-or-less natural upright position and have another person do the drops if possible.

Lwalker and sunnysmom like this.
  13. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor

Chandra
    Hoping your little tiel heals quickly.

14. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    @enigma731 had a really good video on how to give oral meds. I'll see if I can find it. If not maybe, she can repost? You may also want to try doing a youtube search. I hope your bird recovers soon.

Lwalker likes this.
  15. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road

Garet
    What I had to do for my lovebird was pick him up with a towel. I didn't like doing it, and he didn't like it so much, but it had to be done. You have to be very careful about how you do it, too. Don't squish her tailfeathers, don't blindly grab her, and don't hold her too tight, especially around the chest. Birds are basically all lungs, and they can suffocate if you're not careful.

My boy did not like having the syringe in his mouth, so I didn't bother with that. What I did (as instructed by the vet) was syringe out more than I needed, squeeze the extra back into the tube and tap at the side of his beak until he opened it up. I didn't squirt it directly into his mouth, but along the side of his beak and gently used the syringe to sort of spoon any drops that escaped back onto his beak. Most of the time, he was really good at taking it.

Did the vet give you a flavored med? If it smells like candy, it's flavored, and you're going to have an easy time.

I still have pictures of him in his towel floating around, if you want.

16. enigma731

enigma731 Sprinting down the street

Here's the video. The oral meds part begins at 1:45.

sunnysmom and Tiel Feathers like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)