• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible stroke (cockatiel)

Mutty

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello
I have a cockatiel (20y) he is now constantly leaning his head to one side and walking around the cage with us head facing awkwardly upwards , my instincts tell me he's had a stroke ? and also a bald patch has suddenly appeared on his head
I also feel if it was a stroke It's may effectived his eye sight ?
Can anyone help me ?
Regards

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor birdie. I hope you can get an experienced vet to check him out and that he will be okay!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Could also be neurological trauma from an accident.

Your bird needs medical attention.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Can you please get him to an avian vet? He or she will be able to help him:) I hope he will be okay.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with everyone else. I believe you need to see a vet. My cockatiel did have a stroke. So a stroke is a possibility. How long has he been like this? I hope he will be okay.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
It's possible...but you need to go to an avian vet.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I really hope you've listened to the people here and taken him to a vet. It could be anything from an inner ear infection to a neck or head injury to parasites to a stroke or a whole host of other things. :c Good luck with your little guy!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your 'tiel. Hope you got him to the vet. Please keep us updated.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He could also have hit his head given the missing feathers. Getting a bird to a vet immediately may save his life. Swelling from head trauma can occur up to 72 hours later. My vet gives a large dose of metacam and then normal doses for 5-10 days to help with swelling that may occur. If it is a stroke, there are meds that can help as well. Please see a vet asap.

Mutty

Hello All
I have taken out tiel to the vet he has confirmed a ear infection but cannot rule out a stroke ,are there any additional foods which can help with a ear infection (we where subscribe drops orally from the vet ) can anyone advise the best way to give the drops (not used to being handled)
Kinds Regards
Mutty

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have a second person to help you hold this bird while you give the drops? You can get him in a towel and hold him that way. Did you ask the vet how to give them? Vets will usually demonstrate for you.
The best way is to hold them on a towel like a taco, and hold them under the chin. Let the towel hold the rest of the body and only make it snug, enough to hold the wings, not tight. Do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Hold them upright in more-or-less natural upright position and have another person do the drops if possible.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hoping your little tiel heals quickly.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@enigma731 had a really good video on how to give oral meds. I'll see if I can find it. If not maybe, she can repost? You may also want to try doing a youtube search. I hope your bird recovers soon.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
What I had to do for my lovebird was pick him up with a towel. I didn't like doing it, and he didn't like it so much, but it had to be done. You have to be very careful about how you do it, too. Don't squish her tailfeathers, don't blindly grab her, and don't hold her too tight, especially around the chest. Birds are basically all lungs, and they can suffocate if you're not careful.

My boy did not like having the syringe in his mouth, so I didn't bother with that. What I did (as instructed by the vet) was syringe out more than I needed, squeeze the extra back into the tube and tap at the side of his beak until he opened it up. I didn't squirt it directly into his mouth, but along the side of his beak and gently used the syringe to sort of spoon any drops that escaped back onto his beak. Most of the time, he was really good at taking it.

Did the vet give you a flavored med? If it smells like candy, it's flavored, and you're going to have an easy time.

I still have pictures of him in his towel floating around, if you want.

Mutty

Hello Enigma & friends
Thanks for the video and related tips , because of his age I feel it's going to take some time.

Once again thanks everyone
Mutty

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Keep us posted. If it was a stroke, the good news is that birds are much better at recovering from these types of injuries than humans. If it's just an ear infection, then hopefully the meds will do their job quickly.