• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Proof - Why some BH's have black skin/others have grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I've often wondered why some BH Caiques appear to have dark black skin around the eyes while others have light grey skin. Usually the wild BH's have dark black skin verses most of the pets I come across have light grey. But I may have a possible answer...take a look at these two photos of Nani...

This one was taken about 6-8 weeks ago when I took her outside for the first time this year:

abcspring photos 025.jpg

And this one was taken only a few days ago:

123019.JPG

Why the change? Well I can't say for sure, but I'm thinking it has something to do with sunlight. She has been getting about 2+ hours a day of direct sunlight either with me outside or in the south-facing window I leave open for them in the afternoons. I think it is similar to how we get tan in the sun. Could I be right?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow - very good observation! Must have to do with the sun.

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I've heard sun lamps don't give the same effect. Anyone know if that's true?

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I've heard sun lamps don't give the same effect. Anyone know if that's true?
I've never seen or heard anyone say that artificial lighting causes the same coloring changes. There are many types and models of lighting available these days and maybe this has changed but I haven't come across an affirmation for this. The sun produces a wide range of radiation and highly doubt anything artificial reproduces all the types or intensity
output of radiation from the sun.

On the flip side, I've seen some people comment in the past that their birds don't react to the sun whereas others say it has an affect. I've wondered if there is a synergistic effect with combined variables such as specific diet+sunlight, for example. I have yet to see a definitive answer to this question. :shrug:

Which color do you prefer, black or grey?

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I really like the black! Unfortunately we live in Minnesota where we get about 2 sunny days per year. :rolleyes:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How fasinating!,thats so cool that their skin changes colors like that.

Slic102

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lisa Cook
Hmmmm....I have 2 bhc's. One has NEVER had the white around his eyes, and the other does and has always had it. At first, I thought it was a baby thing, but we had an adult bhc (RIP Bruno) who was an adult and he never got the red coloring in his eyes and he always had the white around his eyes as well. He looked like a baby...and I love those baby eyes. Gonzo, our other one with the white around his eyes came from the same breeder and all hers have that. I assumed it was a breeding thing, but now I'm going to take Pogo out today and see if the skin around his eyes turns white. That is fascinating!

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
How interesting! That is really neat. Has anyone ever done any documentations on this? It would be awesome to see other cake owners see with their BHs have the same reaction.

Orrrrr Nani is wearing a thief mask and you don't realize it. Perhaps he's all ready to go hunting down some delicious treats you're hiding from him

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Orrrrr Nani is wearing a thief mask and you don't realize it. Perhaps he's all ready to go hunting down some delicious treats you're hiding from him
Too late! The cake bandit has struck again!

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
but now I'm going to take Pogo out today and see if the skin around his eyes turns white. That is fascinating!
It turns black (not white) in the sun. :) Well, that is the theory anyway. She has never had black around her eyes before and I do take her outside in the summer every year. However, usually I only take her out for a bit every few weeks or so but this year she has had almost daily exposure.

I don't think you'll notice anything after only one day.

I have seen some pet store Caiques with really dark/black skin around they eye as well and I'm almost positive they've never seen the light of day. So I'm not sure if it's just genetics in those cases or what. All I know is Nani's change has been drastic and the only thing I can think of is the sun exposure.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats interesting. Photoreactive skin isn't anything new in the parrot world. I know hyacinths will develop a much deeper gold in their yellow face patches when allowed out. There are also genetic differences to account for too. Some males just naturally have a much deeper yellow so that might be why some caiques that haven't been out in the sun still have the black, while other's need the sun to get it. My pet hy rarely gets out and she has a decent healthy yellow on her face, but her tongue stripe so many of them have is pretty pale. I have no doubt it would show up more if I got her out.
Melissa

Conurechicken

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Karen
If my Timneh spend a lot of time in the sunlight, the horncolored part of her upper beak turns a beautiful pink shade - just like the pictures of the wild-caught Timnehs. It makes one wonder what else our parrots are missing by not being outside in the wild...

TITANIS

If my Timneh spend a lot of time in the sunlight, the horncolored part of her upper beak turns a beautiful pink shade - just like the pictures of the wild-caught Timnehs. It makes one wonder what else our parrots are missing by not being outside in the wild...
Possibly nutrients found in clay. Both Amazon Basin species and Australian parrots have been seen consuming it. No one I know or heard of gives that to their birds. This is a topic for another thread and another time, though.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Possibly nutrients found in clay. Both Amazon Basin species and Australian parrots have been seen consuming it. No one I know or heard of gives that to their birds. This is a topic for another thread and another time, though.
This is one thing I always think about as an additive for parrot diets. I'm sure it's beyond beneficial, since so many wild parrots know to eat it.

TITANIS

This is one thing I always think about as an additive for parrot diets. I'm sure it's beyond beneficial, since so many wild parrots know to eat it.
Absolutely, even if via an indirect effect on health such as detoxification.

TITANIS

Also happens with Rose breasted cockatoos: Importance of Sunshine « Jamieleigh's Parrot Help
Thanks for providing this link. That just about convinces me 100% that sunlight is the cause of coloring changes to exposed skin in birds (it really shouldn't be a surprise). What I found very interesting is the comment that it took months of steady exposure to affect change in coloration. That's much longer than I would have expected and could very well explain why some owners do not see change in their birds' color. Although I don't agree that captive birds absolutely require lots of outdoor sun exposure for optimum health (otherwise aviculturists in northern latitudes would experience failures), I think it is a very good idea to have birds receive as much sunlight as could be made possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.