• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible exposure to diseases?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
I have been so stupid!

Forgetting that I shouldn't let Pinto come into contact with other birds, yesterday I held a baby IRN at the petshop. I only realised after I'd already held Pinto ON THE SAME SWEATER that that bird could've had a contagious disease! There doesn't seem to be to be any problem with her yet so I'm hoping we're all clear, but is there anything I can do for her? Or to prevent it in the future? What should I be looking for?

Thx

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The easiest thing to do is ask the pet store if they have disease testing.... if no, for peace of mind, you have can have easy poop swab testing done thru avianbiotech.com. Order environmental kit, they mail it out, swab up fresh pile of poop, mail it back with form. Minimum for me personally is PBFD, psittacosis and Pacheco.

For future, get yourself F10.... make a spray bottle and spray yourself before getting in car and again at your front door.... spray head to toe with focus and shoes and jacket.... throw pants and shirt in laundry immediately. Wash hands, face and arms thoroughly.

Or easier, no playing with birds you don't know.... I'm a freak about disease testing being involved with the shelter.... so some may say I'm over the top, but love my Max

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Thanks so much for the reply @Jenphilly, it really helps! Also, sorry if this is a silly question, but what if F10? I already have a spray bottle.
Again, thx :)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks so much for the reply @Jenphilly, it really helps! Also, sorry if this is a silly question, but what if F10? I already have a spray bottle.
Again, thx :)

Never silly questions in my book!!

F10 is the disinfecting spray vets use between appointments. Extremely effective but more important - SAFE!

Here is a link for ordering off Amazon. Just be sure it's regular F10sc and not the stuff in green bottle which is cleaner and needs to be wiped down before a bird goes near.

You can find this premixed / ready to use too, but I prefer the concentrate to make as much or little, stronger or weaker...

Amazon.com : F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant (200ml) by F10 SC : Pet Health Care Supplies : Pet Supplies

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Thanks again Doctor ;) The advice is highly appreciated!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

You are very welcome!

We use this at the shelter for quarantine practices, and at home too.

Good luck and hope all your worry is unwarranted,,but I truly understand your concern!

Keep us posted.... and post some pics of your baby, we all love seeing baby pics!

Happy 2018!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Haha, both links are so cute!
As for the warty eye ring, we're not from the states :) Here's a link to Nedd's story-
Nedd's Story | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

@Jmfeish and I actually came with a theory that the amount of bumps around the eyes appear due to age and exposure to direct sunlight. So we now think Nedd is older, but he also had almost constant direct sunlight falling on him in his old home.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Haha, both links are so cute!
As for the warty eye ring, we're not from the states :) Here's a link to Nedd's story-
Nedd's Story | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

@Jmfeish and I actually came with a theory that the amount of bumps around the eyes appear due to age and exposure to direct sunlight. So we now think Nedd is older, but he also had almost constant direct sunlight falling on him in his old home.

I'm not a galah expert, but believe there are western and eastern galahs.... if memory serves, the western have eye rings that are puffier and/or have the bumps or warts. Could be wrong, but maybe interesting reading!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Love the photos!

Another thing people often forget. In addition to changing your clothes and washing hands, your shoes might track in germs if you’ve been at a pet shop or shelter. So, take your shoes off at the door!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The girlfriend and I spray everything whenever we go to the birdy store, the vet, etc - saturate clothes, hair, shoes, car. Then we shower as soon as we get home & pitch the clothes in the wash with more F10! F10 is great.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
F10 it is! Thanks for all the replies guys- Pinto seems all good and well :) I will be much more careful in the future around other birds!