• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Possible egg bound parakeet

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have a female parakeet and a male. They are sweet hearts..for the past 2 weeks my female has been keeping her wings low, poop stuck to her butt sometimes, she eats fresh veggies, fruits, some hard boiled egg yolk, natural pellets, a teaspoon and half of parakeet seed mixed with the pellets, and egg shell. She gets birdie vitamins in the water. She climbs around, chirps and chatters, but, her abdomen, is looking like there could be eggs inside. Ive tried cleaning her bottom with warm water and cloth, had her sit in the bathroom in the steaminess of the shower, with no results...there is no avian vet here ir even nearby. I live in Indiana and the only avian vet there is, is in Michigan, that comes to my town once a month. Berniece( my female parakeet,) has an appointment on the 28th, but I don't know if she can hang on that long.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Dr. Scott McDonald will be in Indianapolis on 7/23 which is still too long to wait if she is eggbound. Scott E. McDonald Where are you in IN in case someone can find an avian vet who is closer?

@Macawnutz Is there any chance Dr. Sakas is heading out to Mishawaka, IN, before then and might be able to help?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not aware of his schedule. :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She can try soaking the females bum in warm water, giving liquid calcium and putting her in a warm darkened quiet place. If no ER or avian vet, how about a wildlife rescue? They usually have vets on hand?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
put bird into steamy bathroom in small cage no perches, with low to no lights on. and add liquid calcium in bird's beak.

Deborah54

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dg
Thank you all for your suggestions. Dr.Scott Mcdonald will be here in marion on the 28th. The issue with separating her from the male can be very stressful because they are mates. They even chatter back and forth while im cleanning her butt. Because she hates that and wants to escape. She tightens up her rear end so tight that I can't even see the opening. Placing her butt in warm water would make her fight. I do place a shallow bowl of warm water in the cage so she can check it out and hopefully take a dip. I even placed a small box with shredded paper towel inside it in the cage..she ignores it. Im not positive shes egg bound, i just hope its not all tumors.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you all for your suggestions. Dr.Scott Mcdonald will be here in marion on the 28th. The issue with separating her from the male can be very stressful because they are mates. They even chatter back and forth while im cleanning her butt. Because she hates that and wants to escape. She tightens up her rear end so tight that I can't even see the opening. Placing her butt in warm water would make her fight. I do place a shallow bowl of warm water in the cage so she can check it out and hopefully take a dip. I even placed a small box with shredded paper towel inside it in the cage..she ignores it. Im not positive shes egg bound, i just hope its not all tumors.
Then as weird as this may sound, take them both with you to Dr. Scott. Note: it's something I've done with inseparable pairs.