• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Possible Earring Ingestion

Natalie K Lim

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Natalie K Lim
hi there, I’ve already read a few threads about birds possibly eating metal. I have a gcc and he got the back part of my earring and I couldn’t see him because he was behind me so I tried to grab him so that I can get him to drop it (like what I usually do when he grabs small things) but by the time I got him he didn’t have it in his mouth anymore and I searched high and low for the piece in my couch and around where I was sitting on the floor.

This happened last night and now it’s the next morning and I am debating if I should take him to the vet. I’ve read that it could possibly stay in his crop or stomach and not come out for awhile but it could lead to metal poisoning. Also of course the sharp edges could make his insides bleed. So far there is no bleeding and it’s been 8 hours. Is that long enough to see if it bleeds to see if he’s ok? If anyone has any experience with small parrots going through this? Or is it still too early to tell? I hate to admit it because I do care about him a lot but I’m trying to avoid unnecessary vet bills :/ all I’m wondering is how long does it take for symptoms to show?

Thank you thank you!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You don't want to wait for symptoms to show. An xray is really the only way to tell. My vet charges 100. Metal poisoning is serious stuff and could cost you more in the long run.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Maybe go around with a magnet first on the floor, etc and see if you can find it. I don't think their first instinct is to swallow usually but it does happen.
Check with your vet first but you could try giving peanut butter or another nut butter (almond), for several days and see if it passes through. Is it too large to pass? If so, yes, x-ray.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll bet he never ate it. You just can't find it.

I'll tell you a trick to find small things on the floor. Get back from the area you want to search a little bit. Put your head right on the floor so your eye floor level. Anything on the flat plane of the floor will "stick up" and be immediately visible. Try it.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully he didn't eat it. It might be on the floor somewhere. Get a flashlight and move that around the floor. Sometimes it is easier to find something with extra light.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
if you try the magnet, make sure it was magnetic. Some backs are not. Good luck. I hope he just gave it a good toss and you find it.