• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent possible broken legs

georgieporgie

Moving in
so ive been away from home for a few weeks and my brother called and told me that our linnie george flew into a window and has since been unable to perch or grip anything with his feet. they brought him here to me so i can take him to a vet bc there no avian vets where they live. he seems fine cognitively... hes very alert and responsive. he just kinda hobbles around and when hes resting he lies down completely and his feet are sorta out to the side. i assume hes broken them both, is there anything i can do until his appointment on monday?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My cockatiel recently had a similar injury after running into a wall in a panic. We believe hers is a spinal cord injury. Can you get him some Metacam? He really needs an anti inflammatory now, during the acute phase of the injury.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Keep him comfortable as possible, quiet, anti inflammatory, make sure he is eating and drinking. Padded out the bottom of his cage, just in case he was to fall again. Towels non terry cloth will work best or double sided fleece. Roll up one side to acted as prop. It better, imho, they lean against something soft rather on their breast bone. Keep us posted please

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird was injured. If you can get him to the vet sooner so he can be examined that would be a good thing. Make sure he has easy access to food and water. As per @rocky'smom pad the bottom of the cage and roll up towels for support. When Scully was unable to perch I used some rolled up towels so that he could lean against those and support himself. Best to use non pilling fleece, non stringy towels or layers of paper towels for padding the bottom of the cage. I also moved him into a smaller cage.
Hope George will be OK.

georgieporgie

Moving in
thanks guys, i would have taken him to a vet sooner but lives out of town with my family where there are no avian vets. i would have taken him today but the xray place isnt open on weekends. i have him in a smaller travel cage for now with socks underneath some paper towel for padding. hes eating and drinking just fine! hes still trying to climb around and use his feet so when i see him do it i try and stop him. i mostly just have him out sitting under my blanket because i know he loves to burrow. he seems quite content under there! @enigma731 where can i get him and anti inflamitory? do they have them at pet stores? thanks so much for all you advice and kind words everyone, i will keep you all updated!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
It's a prescription from a vet

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might be able to get Metacam from an emergency vet. It's really important for him to be treated as early as possible.

georgieporgie

Moving in
okay so i had to wash him cus he tumbled into my bow of food and while i was washing him i noticed this?? any clue what it is? it looks like a rash or something.... maybe its a bruise?? i have no idea.... IMG_-qo7yw7.jpg

my camera is broken so its hard to get a good picture but his skin looks orange under his wing.... and compared to the other side he has almost no feathers.... anyone seen anything like this before?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks badly bruised,,hope you get him in soon,, if it's too long a time, the bone, if broken, will start to heal, and heal in that position it's in.

georgieporgie

Moving in
UPDATE:

vet says its just a bad sprain and a nasty bruise. she gave me some pain meds to give him every 12 hrs for 5 days, we decided to trim his wings as well to avoid further injury during his healing process. he was able to perch a little better this morning, so it looks like hes making a speedy recovery! we're organizing his cage at home now to be safer and easier for him to be in until he's all better. thank you for the advice and kind words everyone!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great news. Thanks for the update.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so glad he's doing so much better! Hope Bean doesn't stay mad for long... LOL.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Thank you for the update

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran