• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible bird flip

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I have multiple reasons to believe that Sherman may be a flip. I want and already love my sweet Sherman but know the pain of losing a beloved family member. I don't wish that on anyone.
What steps should I take?
This is when living in a small place is hard. The nearest animal shelter is over 2 hours away and has no bird facilities.
Has anyone recently sold/lost or know anyone who recently sold/lost a White-capped Pionus Parrot?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Why do you think so? Even if he is, if the original person gave him up, then I think he/she would be happy that Sherman now has a good home. Unless are you saying you think he was stolen?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I already am so attached to Sherman. :heart:
Plus, we're the luckiest flock around.
Sherman responds to a different name. The seller wasn't who the ad claimed. I neither filled out adoption forms nor had any interviews/home visits. The list goes on and on.
As I said, I want her to live here but not at someone else's expense. I fell in love Sherman so quickly. It hasn't even been 2 weeks. Also, she'll never be mistreated here! I know the pain of losing a family member and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.:crycry:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
BTW, adoption papers had to be filled out for the two conures coming next month. Because of the distance, we did a Skype interview and was asked to show my house.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you check on Parrot Alert and some of the other lost and found animal websites?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Two of my birds unfortunately came from a flipper (I only found out later). I wanted to find out where one of them came from, as she was obviously trained and loved before he got her. Unfortunately, it may be downright impossible to find Sherman's old owner.

Flippers usually either buy birds at a low price and resell them or (in my case) 'adopt animals into a loving forever home' and turn around and sell them to people who don't know where they came from. It's more than likely that he got Sherman from her old owners and not by finding her or picking up a lost bird.

If you're really worried, you can get her scanned for a microchip at any vet after you pick her up. Afaik, it's a free procedure.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
she was obviously trained and loved before he got her. Unfortunately, it may be downright impossible to find Sherman's old owner.

Flippers usually either buy birds at a low price and resell them or (in my case) 'adopt animals into a loving forever home' and turn around and sell them to people who don't know where they came from
I think Sherman was resold because, as I said, she doesn't act like an older, abused bird. She obviously came from a loving home somewhere and was previously trained. Again, I love her already and she's safe with me!
The AV scanned her for a microchip immediately but there wasn't one.
I looked on some websites for lost birds and think I found her previous owner. We're trading pics and information. Like I told her, Sherman is being loved and well cared for in my home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hard to tell the difference with some birds so you want to be 100% positive that Sherman belonged to that other person. Sometimes people might claim a bird is theirs and it isn't. Just be extra careful.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I looked on some websites for lost birds and think I found her previous owner. We're trading pics and information.
Hopefully you will straighten this whole situation out soon...

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Wow, that would be a horrible and awkward position to be in! I hope you find answers and a solution that is best for all involved including Sherman.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Several people over time have alerted me to found Maxi Pionus parrots since Lurch escaped but so far none of them have been Lurch, and everyone seems to think any random lost bird could be him. I'd ask for unique identifying marks and pictures before I'd consider giving him back and why and how was he given up. Like said if she just sold him off she doesn't deserve him back now that he's in a loving happy home.
Now if he escaped or was taken by fraud and she misses him and wants him back that's a different story. I'd love for someone to have found Lurch safe and kept him then see my lost pet ad and contact me then he'd have a new friend but not holding my breath at this late date.
Good luck and I hope you two get it sorted out for the best for everyone involved.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Sometimes people might claim a bird is theirs and it isn't. Just be extra careful.
Thanks for the warning! The potential owner I was texting with said her bird didn't hate red and Sherman HATES red and reacts VERY badly to it.
I have been doing this way too long to just turn Sherman over to a stranger. There are definite quirks in her personality that didn't develop overnight. Besides, I KNOW she's safe with me! Not only that, she has my heart.
I'm sorry about Lurch and thank you for reminding me that there's more than unscrupulous person out there.
Two of my birds unfortunately came from a flipper (I only found out later). I wanted to find out where one of them came from, as she was obviously trained and loved before he got her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the warning! The potential owner I was texting with said her bird didn't hate red and Sherman HATES red and reacts VERY badly to it.
I have been doing this way too long to just turn Sherman over to a stranger. There are definite quirks in her personality that didn't develop overnight. Besides, I KNOW she's safe with me! Not only that, she has my heart.
I'm sorry about Lurch and thank you for reminding me that there's more than unscrupulous person out there.

It's good that the person was honest. I found a cockatiel many years ago and someone did call me about him. I was concerned because I wanted to make sure that I gave him up to the person who he had lived with and not someone trying to get a bird. Person described the 'tiel and said there was nothing special he could whistle and I knew it was not the one I found. Their 'tiel was Lutino and the one I found was a normal grey and he could whistle "Reveille".
There are people who are actually looking for their lost bird and then others who just want a free bird so it's always good to be careful.
It's nice of you to look for Sherman's previous human but I think that Sherman is now in her forever home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just love Sherman & stop thinking he' s lost but rather he's found.

Gosh even if he was lost it was not one of us or on parrot alert so who the heck knows if he was in some less than suitable home...You'd really kick your butt & Sherman would die if he had to go back to some smoking owner who gave him wild bird seeds & kept him in a budgie cage!

I say this not without sympathy to those who have lost a bird they loved & was well cared for but
suppose that was not the case & he was returned to a horrible situation...He's alive & he's well cared for...that's all that anyone could ask if they lost a bird.

What makes you think the ones you got him from were not the owners???

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hard to tell the difference with some birds so you want to be 100% positive that Sherman belonged to that other person. Sometimes people might claim a bird is theirs and it isn't. Just be extra careful.
Yes unfortunately people do claim birds that do not belong to them. We had a Sulfur Crested Cockatoo land in our yard a few years back, he was starving and checking out the chook food, we advertised him in the paper and had so many people call to claim the bird. We ended up getting threats from numerous people. The police ended up making the decision on who they thought owned the bird. It is very sad to know that so many people are willing to claim birds that so not belong to them. Cheap easy way to get a bird!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
As previously stated, there are multiple reasons why I question her true ownership. Also, as I stated, she is safe with and adored and respected by me. Those only add to the reasons I think she was well-cared for and loved. This is not a situation taken lightly. I, too, would feel the pain of loss. Sherman already has my heart and much of my care all of which, no doubt, will continue. This situation has been considered and considered. She's mine, but someone else may love her, too. My desire for retribution is outweighed by my desire of fairness.
Sherman is now my baby, but she may also be someone else's baby. That potential cruelty is mine. I asked because my knowledge of the process was limited.
Please note that I even call her "Sherman" now.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Again, you are to be commended for your search to find Sherman's possible other people! If one of my guys were missing, I'd be moving heaven and earth to bring them home again.

The longer this situation goes, the more it's obvious that Sherman has found her home...:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.