• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Possible Aspiration - Conure

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
Hello, my little girl was diagnosed with respiratory issues and was put on medicine on Friday. Today I didn’t realize she didnt swallow and hid it under her tongue and gave her more - thus leaving to her gurgling.
It SCARED me.
But it was super quick. Then started screaming at me..
Then never did it again. I let her break for 30 minutes before giving her the rest.
Shes eating fine, drinking fine, playing, walking around everywhere, flying (trying to not encourage because she’s sick), making her typical noises and interacting with my Ringneck.
I held her up to my ear, No wheezing or clicking. No meds coming from her nose.
I’m probably just being an overly concerned owner.
It sounds like she just choked but then swallowed it fine.
What do you think? I’m awaiting a call back from the vet.
I have no money to take her. I just spent $500 on friday and my bank account is EMPTY.
So i’m really hoping shes fine.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay. I think if she had aspirated you could tell, but I'm not sure. @enigma731 ?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like she’ll be okay, and I hope she gets better quickly. She should forgive you eventually, poor girl.

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
Sounds like she’ll be okay, and I hope she gets better quickly. She should forgive you eventually, poor girl.
I contacted the vet incase. I’m very attached to her as all bird owners know. She’s drinking eating playing yelling talking. No sneezing or coughing. No clicks or wheezing. Not lethargic (its her nap time right now though lol). Running after my ringneck..
I think I got lucky. I’ll be more careful tonight. I’d feel horrible if she passed because of my mistake.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dont feel bad, you must get the syringe at least a quarter inch or more behind the tounge on the left side of her mouth,,, I go further, but I am very experienced in this. Sometimes they will hack, yak, and cough , because ..let's be honest, its traumatic for them..imagine yourself going through it. Hope shes ok.

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
Dont feel bad, you must get the syringe at least a quarter inch or more behind the tounge on the left side of her mouth,,, I go further, but I am very experienced in this. Sometimes they will hack, yak, and cough , because ..let's be honest, its traumatic for them..imagine yourself going through it. Hope shes ok.
I dont think it went to her Lungs. I think she’d be deteriorating now, but shes energetic

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She probably got some up in her choanal slit/nose. Harmless but uncomfortable.

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
She probably got some up in her choanal slit/nose. Harmless but uncomfortable.
I’m definitely feeling better and less anxious. I wanted second opinions incase. She’s still totally fine. I’m assuming if it was aspiration she’d be dead by now. Or really lethargic and sick. But she’s running around yelling

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would know immediately. She would be unable to breathe.

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
You would know immediately. She would be unable to breathe.
Aaaah I had this idea that it took a few days. PHEW. Looks like she just choked.
My poor baby who trusted me ㅠㅠ
I feel sooo bad but at least she’ll be okay.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was the medication an antibiotic?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that all is well. Sometimes amoxicillin is pink.

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
She seems to be breathing slightly harder. Is it just because shes sick? She keeps trying to nab my earring which she never does . Hm.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She didn't aspirate and even if she did, she'd be protected from aspiration pneumonia by the antibiotic.

So either the heavy breathing is from her infection or you're anxious and the hypervigilance is making her breathing appear heavy when it is in fact normal.

Mutated Beauty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashleigh
She didn't aspirate and even if she did, she'd be protected from aspiration pneumonia by the antibiotic.

So either the heavy breathing is from her infection or you're anxious and the hypervigilance is making her breathing appear heavy when it is in fact normal.
Probably my anxiety. I have severe general anxiety which triggers panic disorder. Shes eating a pizza crust right now.. I’m glad the medicine will help IF she did. She still has 2 weeks left.
Ahhh I’m sorry for being annoying , worried parront :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Probably my anxiety. I have severe general anxiety which triggers panic disorder. Shes eating a pizza crust right now.. I’m glad the medicine will help IF she did. She still has 2 weeks left.
Ahhh I’m sorry for being annoying , worried parront :(

It's good to be vigilant and understandable to be worried. You are not annoying. Most, if not all of us, worry when our birds are ill or something seems "off".