• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Positive reinforcement

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
It was later in the evening when I was able to spend some time with Olive last night We were cleaning in preparation for a guest this evening. ( no my house is not always clean ;)) She was more nippy than usual last night and I believe part of it may have been the later hour. When she nips I try to ignore it, but that doesn't seem to help. This week she has been a little terror. I don't try and put her back in her cage when she does this because I don't want her to view her cage as punishment or a bad place. I try to keep her occupied and busy because she tends to nip more if she's bored (obviously). If she has been good I try and reward her with the only treat she likes (sunflower seeds) and she'll devour it and then immediately nip me. :rolleyes:

I need advice on some positive reinforcement.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know about nipping in general, but I will say even my laid back tiel gets nippy (never biting but beaking) when he gets tired. So I try to stick to a pretty strict bedtime schedule with him. Maybe try to put Olive to bed a little earlier?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olive loves her mama, she's just trying to train get to be a little more prompt with those treats! :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What is happening when she nips? What are you doing when she nips?

What can be done differently to avoid the nips?

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
What is happening when she nips? What are you doing when she nips?
She typically is sitting on my hand or wrist, and i'm usually talking or whistling to her. When she actually does nip, i try to ignore it, but there are time when i just can't. She doesn't draw blood, but sometimes she will latch on and not let go. Sometimes i think she does it because she's bored. I have tired engaging her in activities, but she's such a chicken that mostly she just wants to cling on to me or my husband. I've tried rolling small balls on a table to see if she'll play with them, that kind of thing. She seems interested for a while, will watch them roll around, but then gets bored (i think).

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like boredom or annoyance. Maybe she's getting tired of being on you and wants to be back at her cage for a few?

Can you get toys that you can stuff treats inside of? Does she like popsicle sticks? Balsa wood? Yucca? to chew on? Are there any particular types of toys she likes to engage in while she's in her cage?

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Sounds like boredom or annoyance.
I think so too. When it gets really bad, it's because she wants to go back in her cage and eat. She likes bells and vine balls to chew on. She does likes to chew on very small toys, like plastic buttons and such. Other than that, she spends most of her time on her swings and boings when she's in her cage. I have put a ton of toys in her cage, but she's partial to the vine balls and tiny things she can beak. I could take some small vine balls and roll them around on the table, see if she would chase and munch on them. Her favorite thing to chew on is whatever i may be wearing at the time and forgot to take off(rings, earrings, necklace, etc)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like you may need to keep your interactions with her shorter and when she's with you, have some of her favorite things from her cage with you! :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of the lovies really, REALLY love buttons. I've been trying to figure out a toy I could make for them on which I could string multiple buttons! I just received some plastic buttons I had ordered for just such a purpose. :)

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Sew buttons onto a shirt and wear it. Happy loved hers!
Some of the lovies really, REALLY love buttons. I've been trying to figure out a toy I could make for them on which I could string multiple buttons! I just received some plastic buttons I had ordered for just such a purpose. :)
D