• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

positive reinforcement works for dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
positive reinforcement is not just for birds it works with dogs as well
when I first got my dog max he was deathly afraid of a bath and almost attacked when the first time we bathed him but after years of hard work and weekly baths he will walk to the bath room step in the shower and get his bath without any leash collar or restraint all we do is say the magic word and he will comply with what we ask :hug8:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
That was the stipulation i lad down to my son a grown man when he came home with a 6 week old pup
i said 1 day a week you leave him home i will groom him lol that dog slept through me clipping him turning him cleaning his ears it took 3 hrs to clip him the right way i was slow feet everything my st was same way tell him bath time he ran up to bathroom do you know he was the only st at the shows that never wore a towel or had to have his white chalked.
But then i was young and they were pups when i started

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks doll for your response it reminded me that I had not included a picture and that mine was a rescue at 3 years old when I got him :hug8:

Attachments

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Hun my parents borded for the spca and we were sent a doby that had almost killed some one it was waiting court orders to be put down , it took 2 to hold him back so one could put feed in , well come curt day my dad asked to see the the juge in his chambers he sai ok well dad walked in with this dobi dressed im baby cloths with a child holding him all h--- broke out happy ending dog went home with family with children neve a problem

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing very interesting I like that story :hug8:

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
I am so glad this is workign for your gorgeous dog.

I find that positive reinforcement works with every thing. Heck if it can work on my children it can work on anything :D

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
thanks doll for your response it reminded me that I had not included a picture and that mine was a rescue at 3 years old when I got him :hug8:
Cynthia, I'm making a mental note that if by chance I come back as a sad and homeless dog in another life, I will look for your doorstep!:heart:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Ha ha even mango is learning the hard way no is no but hes learning fast

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so glad this is workign for your gorgeous dog.

I find that positive reinforcement works with every thing. Heck if it can work on my children it can work on anything :D
I am so glad it works on your kids

Cynthia, I'm making a mental note that if by chance I come back as a sad and homeless dog in another life, I will look for your doorstep!:heart:
that is so sweet

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
positive reinforcement is not just for birds it works with dogs as well
when I first got my dog max he was deathly afraid of a bath and almost attacked when the first time we bathed him but after years of hard work and weekly baths he will walk to the bath room step in the shower and get his bath without any leash collar or restraint all we do is say the magic word and he will comply with what we ask :hug8:

Absolutely! And, not just dogs and birds, it works with ALL species including humans! I teach all puppies and rescues to enjoy getting a bath by smearing peanut butter inside the side of the bathtub. They learn that it's a good place to go and it gives them something to do while I bathe them:)

Vicki

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Absolutely! And, not just dogs and birds, it works with ALL species including humans! I teach all puppies and rescues to enjoy getting a bath by smearing peanut butter inside the side of the bathtub. They learn that it's a good place to go and it gives them something to do while I bathe them:)

Vicki

even husbands?!?!? :heart::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
even husbands?!?!? :heart::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yes, except I don't use a clicker for him:) But seriously, absolutely, you reinforce what you do like and ignore what you don't. Read Karen Pryor's book Don't Shoot The Dog which was written about reinforcement training for people but turned into a dog training cult classic:)

Vicki

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Yes, except I don't use a clicker for him:) But seriously, absolutely, you reinforce what you do like and ignore what you don't. Read Karen Pryor's book Don't Shoot The Dog which was written about reinforcement training for people but turned into a dog training cult classic:)

Vicki

thanks, I will look for it

(seriously, can't complain about DH here, he is the greatest, couldn't ask for better :heart: )

but will look for the book - have 6 dogs, the featherbabies and an assortment of critters, am sure I can learn a few things from it :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.