• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Positive reinforcement seemed to have worked

Raven Skies

Meeting neighbors
It's been a while since my last visit, but I have an update on the last thread I've created.

We have two African greys. One that we've had since a fledgling and one that we "inherited" from my aunt when she moved and couldn't take him with her.

The one we've had the longest, is female (Around 9 or 10 years young), the older one is male, around 14 years young. The male had the nasty habit of making a noise with his cage by biting the bars and "snapping" them back. The female then learned this behaviour too and they drove us up the walls. We used to rush to get them something to eat just to make them stop, but it just got worse (I told my parents that we are rewarding bad behaviour by giving them treats when they're being noisy, but they thought it was just talk). Well, turns out I was right.

They both have bells in their cages, and we have begun to reward them with treats whenever they rang the bells, and praised them for being so clever and cute. Eventually we'd tell them to ring their bells whenever they made noises with the cages, and it didn't take them long to figure out that ringing the bells gets them treats and making noises with the cages causes us to ignore them. Now they have learned to rather ring their bells, and the odd time they make noises with their cages, we just tell them to ring their bells, and soon they will go and ring their bells, which then gets them treats (Usually in the form of apple slices or orange slices). They are so smart, but I expected nothing less. Just so proud that my family finally listened to me :blahblah:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They either train us or we train them, most times it's a little of both as we learn each other and work things out. Good job to the whole flock. They are still happy expressing themselves and you get to hear bells instead of the cage bars being clanged.