• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Positive reinforcement for unmotivated bird

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello all,

I had been training my bird to do certain tricks, but he is so unmotivated by treats (millet, apple slices), that none of these tricks seem to stick. He is a Linnie and I cant use seeds to treat him as he doesn't like those or doesn't understand that they are delicious food.

The way I see people train either dogs or parrots to do simple command like turn around, is to use the food to turn around the animal and reward them when they did it. Then, the trainers simple phase out the food and rely on hand signals to achieve the same result. My bird is unresponsive to food, in fact, he is probably a little bit scared of it. I trained him in the morning before his breakfast and still he wont respond to food/reward.

So, how to train or how to reward birds which are unmotivated by food?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What other things does he like: is there a favorite toy that tempts him? Does he like scratches/being petted?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Over the top praise works for Romeo-but he's a crazy cockatoo!:wacky:

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
What other things does he like: is there a favorite toy that tempts him? Does he like scratches/being petted?
Haha, I wish. He doesnt like being touched. He would step up and he loves riding on my shoulder, but the moment that I try to pet him, he would slowly move away.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My linnies would kill for a bite of apple. It could be that you bird is just not interested in performing for you.

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Not interested in performing that dosent mean hate
Then why? Why is my bird unmotivated? He loves riding on my shoulder, he steps up for me, and he preens me. Why would he not want to perform for me?

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He probably has no interest in learning tricks
Although he has no intention of learning, he is excellent in self learning, he can say step up, imitate my gulp and gulps when he sees a water container, imitate the microwave whenever I reach for it. He also do lunges and spin on his rope perch, and sometimes just hang upside down.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Linnies just aren't really the trick learning type.
Awhile back there was someone here who had attended a sort of 'parrot preschool' where new owners were working with their birds; they compared the GCC and Senegals to border collies, and the one linnie to a basset hound. It was cute, although of course somewhat inaccurate since they are such different species. But I have definitely found my linnie to not be interested in doing tricks or even potty training - he won't even respond to praise - while my GCC learns very quickly.
One thing with linnies is that they are just so slow to react to some things. My little guy moves in slow motion - even with a favorite treat, he has to think about it before he takes it. It makes clicker training and offering quick rewards rather difficult.

All I can suggest is finding a treat he really likes, and be willing to accept that he's probably not going to be an impressive performer. Linnies have such a calm and gentle nature, but it's kind of a trade off.
Mine does like tiny pieces of walnut - when he sees me using them when training my GCC, he will usually fly to my shoulder in the hopes he will get a piece, too.

moothepoo

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Linnies just aren't really the trick learning type.
Awhile back there was someone here who had attended a sort of 'parrot preschool' where new owners were working with their birds; they compared the GCC and Senegals to border collies, and the one linnie to a basset hound. It was cute, although of course somewhat inaccurate since they are such different species. But I have definitely found my linnie to not be interested in doing tricks or even potty training - he won't even respond to praise - while my GCC learns very quickly.
One thing with linnies is that they are just so slow to react to some things. My little guy moves in slow motion - even with a favorite treat, he has to think about it before he takes it. It makes clicker training and offering quick rewards rather difficult.

All I can suggest is finding a treat he really likes, and be willing to accept that he's probably not going to be an impressive performer. Linnies have such a calm and gentle nature, but it's kind of a trade off.
Mine does like tiny pieces of walnut - when he sees me using them when training my GCC, he will usually fly to my shoulder in the hopes he will get a piece, too.
Hahahaha. That is so true. But, mine is not exactly a Basset Hound because he is actually smart on his own, he is just not motivated by what I want him to do. I may try organic peanut butter next. Just a little dab on a target stick.