• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers had another real bad episode

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm so sorry you had another one with her. Guard her condition, you have what seems a great Vet too.

You'll get these under control. I will say a prayer for her that she has no more of these!

Hugs to you Papa!

She had another this morning.....not as bad as a couple days ago...but It's the 6-7 one now!!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok, just spit balling here again, I wonder if its the syringe that's freaking her out? Will she eat off of a spoon and Dixie cup for the food. The only thing the syringe used for is her meds. Rocky hated syringes he would fight beak and talon to be as far away from them as possible. I would feed him with a infant spoon. He would eat from it but took a lot more time to feed him. Just my thoughts

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I have been following most of this topic so forgive me if I'm repeating what has already been covered. Has your avian recommended an MRI or EEG or CT?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is she having her sessions early, when she first gets up? She may have low blood sugar like Hank did. Try getting some food into her when she first gets up.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok, just spit balling here again, I wonder if its the syringe that's freaking her out? Will she eat off of a spoon and Dixie cup for the food. The only thing the syringe used for is her meds. Rocky hated syringes he would fight beak and talon to be as far away from them as possible. I would feed him with a infant spoon. He would eat from it but took a lot more time to feed him. Just my thoughts
I never met a bird yet that liked syringes.
I presume it stresses her out yea, but what do you do?!? She has to have her meds every 8 hours...plus she has to have two 6 ml syringes of emeraid omnivore every 4 hours. :yes3:
She hasn't eaten much food out of her bowl since laborday. Today was the first time in a couple weeks she actually ate a fair amount of chop.
But her weight is coming back up ....

She's scared Laurie, she has these episodes, and doesn't know why, she can't see out of one eye now, that freaks her out, daddy is putting syringes in her mouth, she's uncomfortable from being toweled, etc....there's no easy way.
But appreciate your thoughts! Honestly I do.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have been following most of this topic so forgive me if I'm repeating what has already been covered. Has your avian recommended an MRI or EEG or CT?
My vet is conservative in throwing too much at once at her, nor over medicating her. But Tuesday she can come off two of the meds for the infection. But stays on the one for her vascular issues.
So may put her on stuff to prevent the seizure/ stroke from happening, or controlling them so they don't get severe.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Is she having her sessions early, when she first gets up? She may have low blood sugar like Hank did. Try getting some food into her when she first gets up.
As a matter of fact, yea, they tend to happen in mornings. Low blood sugar? That's possible.
But what's odd is it's usually 20- 40 minutes after she's eaten in the morning.
Two times though it happened right before I feed her, usually about 8 in morning. I get up around 7:30 in morning. Get coffee on and make bird breakfast.
I'll mention to vet about the times of day
( mornings), how long each one was, her daily weight, my observation on her behavior and if it has changed dramatically, ( which I can see has),
and if it's possible she's suffering from low blood sugar.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good idea! I've been looking at " science daily"
It a web site specifically by universities all over, with bonafide research studies documented and cited...a very excellent site.
Maybe this sounds dumb but is she near any Computer monitors or Tv's... Thought being can she see a neigbors & could it be causing these seizures? I know that you have multiple areas where they perch... Are her seizures always on/in the same stand/perch. If so maybe there is something that's flickering light (s) that could be a trigger.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Maybe this sounds dumb but is she near any Computer monitors or Tv's... Thought being can she see a neigbors & could it be causing these seizures? I know that you have multiple areas where they perch... Are her seizures always on/in the same stand/perch. If so maybe there is something that's flickering light (s) that could be a trigger.
No suggestion is ever dumb, your always welcome to suggest things! I like all suggestions, after all, with issues like poppers, it benefits us all to learn about it. It can happen to any one of us with our birds. The more we know, the better we will all be in caring for these types of issues.
To answer your questions, no, no computers monitors on, no tv on during day, and haven't had music on. Been very quite around here last couple weeks. No flickering lights.
She did have one of her episodes while on a perch where Sun shown in...so light may have triggered that one. But I now make sure she's not in sun...it's set up so she can move out of sunshine if she wants.
No nteighbors behind us, in front of us, or to one side, to the right side, yes, but she knows them quite well. Never seemed bothered by them.
Nothing scared poppers, never been scared of hardly anything. She's one to stand her ground if need be.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Michael are you keeping a log book of symptoms, time of day, weight, food or feedings, etc etc. I did with Rocky during his illness, it helped the vet to understand what I was seeing and what reactions he was having.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Michael are you keeping a log book of symptoms, time of day, weight, food or feedings, etc etc. I did with Rocky during his illness, it helped the vet to understand what I was seeing and what reactions he was having.
oh absolutely! My wife insisted I keep it accurate on all that And not miss anything.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Oh I’m so very sorry this continues to happen. Poor Poppers!

The whole time I was reading this, one thing kept popping in my head. That lady your wife was friends with...and that horrible thing she did to Poppers. Was Poppers injured at all by that? I remember you took her to the vet after, but can’t remember the details of any injuries. I realize this most likely has nothing to do with what’s happening now...I just can’t get it out of my head. Still don’t understand how a person can be such a monster. Also, I don’t really know the logistics of how that device she used may have “worked” but just thought I’d mention it.

I pray Poppers gets better and all of you do not suffer any more of these seizures!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Forgive me if I am incorrect here but was it Poppers who had the wife's crazy friend experiment on her causing her to fly into a few things not too long ago?
I am just wondering if she may have caused more damage to herself in those incidents than first realized?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

The whole time I was reading this, one thing kept popping in my head. That lady your wife was friends with...and that horrible thing she did to Poppers. Was Poppers injured at all by that? I remember you took her to the vet after, but can’t remember the details of any injuries. I realize this most likely has nothing to do with what’s happening now...I just can’t get it out of my head. Still don’t understand how a person can be such a monster. Also, I don’t really know the logistics of how that device she used may have “worked” but just thought I’d mention it.

I pray Poppers gets better and all of you do not suffer any more of these seizures!

Wow I was just wondering the same thing then see you posted right before I did about the same incident.....I can't help but wonder if there is any connection.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

@Shezbug and @JoJo&Loki is
That incident with hawk call thingy my wife's friend had was back in july...she went to old vet whom took xrays, and basic blood tests...Xrays were normal, nothing injured. And blood test was a little evelated, nothing alarming. But we all assumed she freaked out about hawk thingy....
Here's the kicker though which got me thinking,
Poppers is not freaked out about hawks normally. I can sit outside with her and she just makes a couple awk awk squawks, just keeping eye on it. Nothing scared her normally.
But what my new vet and I believe, at that time may have been her first stroke/siezure, and was just a coincidence, that friend of wife had that hawk call app or what ever it was. May have been the trigger at time. All hard to really say.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wow I was just wondering the same thing then see you posted right before I did about the same incident.....I can't help but wonder if there is any connection.

My first vet and I didn't make the connection of stroke or seizure as she was fine and dandy at vets. We both just assumed she was just starteled and flew or tried to.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
No episode today. Today was a good day for poppers. She ate well and took her meds, by syringe without being toweled... Whoo hoo!
I backed off her next feeding as I offered chop
And she ate on her own... But she doesn't seem to drink much water, so I been giving that by syringe.
Shes not exactly the same bird....she always chased my wife, and would go for her any chance she got if my wife was to close to me. Jealousy.!!
Now since she had that big stroke on labor day , she seems my wife out for cuddle and to be held. Even pet and a kiss on beak.. That never happens between them. Definitely a neurological thing going on in her head.
Guess daddy's the big meany now with the syringes, and toweling her.
I've been doing lots of reading, researching and back tracking thru several years of bird talk magazines, nearly 3 decades worth actually.
Lots of good articles in bird talk. Sure you can take some of the articles with a grain of sand. But many articles are written based on observation, rather than scientific evidence.
But observation is good!! It allows you to compare notes. And that's not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She ate well and took her meds, by syringe without being toweled.
I think that is the right thing to do. I wish you can continue doing so. :) I would have done anything that not was making her stressful.
Have you been discussing if she can have epilepsy?
If they get a seizure they get unconscious and are unreachable. When they wake up they are very confused and don't recognize their owners.
I'm not sure that you should hold her when she have a seizure for that reason. Can't you place her in a darker smaller area with no sound, and see what happens?
And let her stay until she recognize you or your wife.

Have you have her tested for lead poisoning?

I think you should try something, and I still think that the trigger is stress.
If nothing helps, and she's not getting better, you always have that last sad option.
You will know what to do and when. But until then I continue to sending positive and healing thoughts her way. ♥♥♥