• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor sparrow

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
a couple days my dad and aunt found a injured bird out side of my aunt home. It a sparrow. His or her leg and wing is injured. It's at my aunt inside of a cage out of the weather. Me, my dad and aunt don't think it will ever beable to return in to the wild.

Attachments

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Most people can't help but lend a hand to injured creatures;) . Best to keep it warm away from drafts and with the cage partly covered. Water and food should be easy to get to. Sadly most wild birds don't survive from the stress. Poor little guy, hopefully he will get better. :(

Milestone

Yeah your Aunt should defiantly keep him safe within home. Hopefully the cat didn't cause the injury. Cat bites/scratches can be quite deadly. I would have done the same too.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If they suspect he was attacked by a cat he'll need antibiotics to kill the nasty stuff in a cat bite, it can take a bird out in a few days. Good on her for taking him in and hope he gets better. If he does and is young he can bond and become quite friendly and a family member. I rescued a baby house finch from a crow and ended up hand feeding her. She did very well and bonded to us and became a happy family member. She was a lot of fun and even sang the songs of her people.
Good luck and hoping for the best.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You never know! Warm , safe and quiet for recuperating! Thanks for helping!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking the sparrow into your home. I hope that all will be well.
I found an @ 1 day old baby sparrow 8 1/2 years ago and raised him. He is a wonderful little guy and I am so happy that I brought him into my home. He has 2 legs and 1 foot that are not functional but gets around and can use his one good foot to grip bars and edges of bowls to lift himself up. I feed him finch seed and Mazuri insectivore as well as millet and cooked mixed veggies although he just likes corn.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. That's good news. What kind of seed are they feeding him? My sparrow gets millet, Volkman Avian Science Super finch seed and Mazuri Insectivore pellets.

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Thanks for the update. That's good news. What kind of seed are they feeding him? My sparrow gets millet, Volkman Avian Science Super finch seed and Mazuri Insectivore pellets.
I think just regular bird seed and milliet

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Either way if he's still with us he'll probably be fine eventually and if he's too banged up to release he'll bond and become a flock member like Beeper did. Thanks for the great update.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's so great of you to help him. Maybe think about adding a branch perch so it will be easier for him to grip. Plastic perches can be slippery and branch perches (not dowel perches) have natural variation in the contour *like perching on tree branch). You can buy them at petco or petsmart.

IMG_2899.PNG

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Sad news. The poor little thing ate off his foot. I feel really bad for him because I have several orthopedic problems as well. So I can completely relate to him or her

Milestone

Oh no, to bad that happened. How is he doing now?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The tissue might have been necrotic (dead) and the toe/foot might have just fallen off. Or maybe it was irritating him and he did remove it. Is it the entire foot or just a toe? You may want to bring the little guy to an avian vet. Consider getting some Vetericyn and applying that to the area . Amazon.com: vetericyn
I use the wound and skin care hydrogel version. There is an antimicrobial version.
Hope the little guy will be OK.

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My house finch, Beeper, got bit by my maxi on several toes and eventually they did turn black and the bad end just fell off. She of course adapted fine and we kept them away from each other so she could keep the rest of her parts. Hopefully that is what happened and he'll be fine and adapt to his situation.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds as if the little guy is doing well! That's great. Any other issues with the foot?