• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor fishy is starving! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Help! I need to know what I can feed a beta. We have one, now. I guess my mother's friend needed to give him away for some reason, so now we have a fish. The only problem is that she didn't give us any beta food. . .

SO! Is there anything around the house that I could feed him??? He hasn't eaten for a few days now. . . poor guy.

So, please give me some suggestions!

Thanks!

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Not unless you have bloodworms in the freezer!? LOL
Just run to walmart and get some fishy kibble/flakes. I do believe thats all they can eat.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
My mom's going to the store today, so we'll pick some up then, I suppose. I just feel bad because he hasn't eaten in a while and if there was anything that I could feed him, I wanted to do so. Poor Fish. :(

SultanMyM2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
No need to worry .A fish can usually go up to 2 weeks w/ no food they will eat anything left at the bottom of the tank/bowl.If you have any peel & eat shrimp in the freezer(for human consumption) thaw a piece & put tiny size pieces in there .Also walmart sells freeze dried blood worms & they are good for the fish color & they also sell betta food ..Good luck

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
Poor fishy....just pick up some food at walmart

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
He might some cucumber or peas. Other than that regular fish food would be great

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
I didn't know that they could eat shrimp. . . ANd I knew that they could go a while, but not 2 weeks! I'll be sure to pick up some food for him later today. Maybe he'll swim around once he's eaten something. :hehe:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bettas are on hikari bio gold,(Atisons is another great food for them.) frozen.bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.once a week i fast them. I picked sunday that was easiest day for me.I wouldnt feed more than 3 pellets to him per day same goes for the bloodworms.Dont feed any freeze dried foods to him either..It could cause constipation in him.Whats his setup? If you need any help withhim sent me a pm.Bettas are wonderful fish full of personalities.

SultanMyM2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I didn't know that they could eat shrimp. . . ANd I knew that they could go a while, but not 2 weeks! I'll be sure to pick up some food for him later today. Maybe he'll swim around once he's eaten something. :hehe:
All my fish eat RAW peel & eat shrimp RAW Tallapia fillets & pellets from Kens fish foods a high quality pellet also when I am out they eat the Hikari also .Yes fish can go longer than you think ..The rule of thumb is let your fish clean your tank .. There is always lots of left over food in the gravel etc ..But if you have him in a bowl w/ no gravel then yes get him some food sooner than 2 weeks ..

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
He is in a little tank with gravel. . . Wow, you know a lot about bettas, Marian! Thanks for the info.

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Alright, we've given him some tillapia and he seems to like that. :D

SultanMyM2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
He is in a little tank with gravel. . . Wow, you know a lot about bettas, Marian! Thanks for the info.
I know allot about fish in general seeing I have been keeping fish for many many years :) .I have a thread w/ some of my fish & tanks here somewhere if I knew how to find it for you I would post the link but I am new to all this forum stuff & still trying to figure it out lol

1parakeet

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessyca
Fish are pretty interesting pets. They make the place prettier. :)

I suppose Mr. Fish is a rescue fish. He was in horrible conditions and I guess Katrin rescued him, a goldfish and two frogs. I would have liked to have the frogs. But Mr. Fish is pretty too and I enjoy having him already. :)

SultanMyM2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Fish are pretty interesting pets. They make the place prettier. :)

I suppose Mr. Fish is a rescue fish. He was in horrible conditions and I guess Katrin rescued him, a goldfish and two frogs. I would have liked to have the frogs. But Mr. Fish is pretty too and I enjoy having him already. :)
I have plenty of bigger tanks if you want one :dancing: Never have to many fish :dance4:Never mind I just seen you are in AZ :-(

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I forgot to mention you might want to set aside a couple gallons of water uncapped in water jugs.. .Let that setout for at least 24 hours before you use it.It will help to dechlorinate it. Or next trip to pet store pick up some prime.Do you know how many gallons the tank is?Wish you were closer I have a nice little 3 gallon and 5 gallon setup sitting empty.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.