• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poopology - not to be sniffed at

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I could easily have lost Tau my tiel this week if I hadn't already done the research for a budgie I fostered early last year.
Tau hasn't had the easiest start in life. I thought everything was sorted and no more emergencies. I'll admit, I GOT COMPLACENT.
As far as I remember from previous tiels their poops have always been on the very wet side, especially after fruit or a bath. But Tau's have been well balanced since I got her. Nice dark green faeces with a dollop of white urates and a little urine.
I thought everything was fine. When I introduced her to her forever home she knew where her food was, and was drinking from the drinker I provided.
But something changed. I don't know what the trigger was, but I noticed on Monday that her poops were a lot drier. No noticeable urine, but nice green faeces and a dollop of white urates. But she was drinking, I'd seen her drinking so that couldn't be the problem could it?
I freshen my birds' water often so I never noticed that she wasn't drinking. And by Wednesday she'd slowed down and stopped singing.
I cleaned her cage so I could get a good look at her poops. Nothing for 4hrs then 2 solid green poops, no urine and no urates. SH#T.
Having already done the research I instantly emptied and washed her treat bowl and put it back filled with fresh water. Before I'd even closed her cage she was there. She visited that bowl 6 to 8 times in the first hour and took a good drink. She was also attacking the cuttlefish bone and iodine block with a vengeance. By this time she had stopped pooping altogether. I was straight on the phone to my vet for an appointment - today. She wasn't pooping at all, was loading up on water, and had to wait 2 days for intervention.
She started pooping again Thursday afternoon. Not a lot and a bit of a push for her. No urates, just faeces and urine. Things were starting to work again, but it was still hard work for her.
Working on the assumption she was constipated I started applying heat to her abdomen with warm wet cloths. She seemed happy for the contact with me, but still very down and depressed. She managed a few good poops before bed. Today had better come soon.
Last night I heard what I can weirdly call music to my ears. Her cage has a steel tray underneath and I kept hearing a 'ding' , getting bigger and more frequent. I relaxed a bit and took myself to bed. Let her do what she needs to do.
This morning, as soon as the cage lights came on, she started calling for me. As I got to her cage she came to the door and was ready to step up. In the bottom of her cage was the biggest mess of green, white and water I've honestly ever seen. She had evacuated 3 days of food and a good load of water.. While I was cleaning it up she was on my shoulder calling non stop.
I'm still going to keep her appointment with the vet, just to check her out after what she's been through, as far as I can see though she's back to normal.

So I say to you, as parront, do the research now. There is so much a simple poop can tell you about the health of your birds. Waiting until a bird is poorly may be that little bit too late.
Don't get complacent. Keep an eye on their water consumption. Never assume they are using their drinker just because you've seen them use it in the past.
I have one question though. Why would a bird stop drinking from it's normal safe source of water? The drinker was refreshed twice daily, and steam sterilised every evening.

Spend a little time on the net today. Google 'poopology'. There's a great deal of advice to absorb, and it may save a bird's life one day. And if you're unsure about an unusual poop ask someone.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She's much better now after her trip out and the attention she got from the peeps at the vets. "Aaaaw, look at her little tail. How cute." There isn't really a lot that needs doing really, we've already done the hard part.
I have to remove all the food and water from the cage right now. Before lights out she's to have a small square of toasted bread with one drop of milk thistle/dandelion root on it. Then replace the water with half strength dioralyte (pedialyte?) until Tuesday. In the morning she's to have one quarter mashed boiled egg white with one dose of the probiotic powder I have. Seeds as normal when the egg is gone.
He took bloods for LFT etc and will ring me if there is a problem.
That's it. To say it could have been worse is an understatement. 'Poopology' sounds like a really funny word, but the subject behind it really is life or death.
As an aside:
DSC_0042.JPG
A little damage to a couple of feathers, have to watch her for over-preening.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm glad she seems to be feeling better!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she's doing better

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad she’s feeling better! I wonder what the problem was? So scary!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wonder what the problem was? So scary!
That's the most frustrating thing. It seems like she just chose to stop drinking from the drinker. I know there was no strange odour as all the drinkers are steam cleaned every day - no chemicals. The drinker was right next to her food bowl, she only had to turn to reach it. The water is fine, she's drinking the same stuff from her bowl. I'm not going to worry about it. It is what it is. I'll be watching for any other strange behaviour though.

Kodigirl210

@Ripshod - that is scary. I’m glad your girl is all better. I’d been having an issue converting my CAG to drinking water since finally decided she was weaned this week. She refused to drink from a bowl. I don’t if it is because of a reflection or if it just seemed unnatural to her. In the end I got a Lixit bottle for her. After a couple of times of showing her, she picked up on it right away and has been drinking from it ever since. I completely understand how unnerving it can be when you realize there is no water intake. It was also part of the reason I didn’t rush the weaning as I knew she was getting adequate water from it. Now it still makes me smile to see her drinking water. Silly eh? :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Oh no. After going through something like that I still watch her drink with a smile on my face. Every single time she comes down to the water it's 'will she? Won' t she?'
I think I' ll be like this for a while yet. Things can go downhill rather quickly with any small animal it's making me over-vigilant.
I've put the original problem down to a distrust of the air bubbles that go in as the water drops, either the sight or the sound.

Kodigirl210

Totally understandable. Hopefully she stays well hydrated from now on :D