• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop/urine changes with diet changes?

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
My CAG, Brodie, has recently begun eating more juicy fruit (mainly grapes) as compared to his previous favorite, apples. I've been trying to moderate how much he gets every night, and I've been trying to intersperse it with less sweet/juicy fresh fruits and veggies.

I was wondering how much this would affect his poop-to-urine ratio -- I've noticed that sometimes there will be a lot of wetness around his poop (the urates remain white and in the same amount as normal). Is this due to him eating juicier fruit?

Also, is it normal in the warmer weather for birds to eat less? Our apartment is pretty warm, and I do have a fan blowing on a portion of Brodie's cage (he can get out of the breeze if he wants though). I've been providing him with cool water to drink as well as frequent short spritzes with cool water from a misting water bottle. But I've been noticing that overall he is eating less than he did in the winter. This does make sense to me, in terms of him needing fewer calories to stay warm (our apartment is pretty cool in the winter). Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this though!

Thanks! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If your kids eat too much candy, they aren't going to eat their broccoli at dinner. Juicy fruit is very high in sugar and there really isn't much nutrition in grapes. They taste good though.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would think that the increase in urine is due to the higher water content, but I don't know if birds eat less when it's warm.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
@JLcribber -- good to know. I've been trying to give him other fruits/veggies too, with no grapes offered, but he gets cranky. (And no, I don't give in to his bouts of crankiness about other fruits/veggies, because I know if I do, then I'll just be reinforcing his behavior regarding GRAPES MUST HAVE GRAPES.) I'll try switching it up a little more frequently now, though, so he'll get more variety and substance. :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I found out the hard way with an emergency vet visit. With my first tiel, who ate everything, she ate a cranberry from a treat stick (which I don't give Bella) and the next thing I know, her poop was red. I thought it was blood but thankfully, no. Buddy also had purple poop after eating red cabbage, or radicchio.