• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Poncho is sick

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
That's so smart. Wow I never thought of that. I'll give it a try tomorrow :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Update:
Poncho is more active, eating millet like a champ. He isnt one for veges without Pinto eating veges too, so hopefully I can put them back together soon after his antibotic treatment.

I weighed him and pinto. Poncho is 31.1 grams, Pinto is 39.6 grams. I will keep millet in his travel cage to fatten him up while also having pellets, veges and seed.

His poops look completely normal now, so I've stopped syringe feeding him.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Since I haven't weighed him before I don't know how much he lost. I just know Pinto is a lot bigger then him now in weight, and before I always thought Poncho was bigger.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I think I would keep feeding him for 2 or 3 more days. You want to make absolutely sure he is getting adequate nutrition not just enough calories. His little body needs extra help to get well and strong.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Okay, it's so hard now he struggles I'm not sure I got his antibiotic in properly today. He doesn't swallow when I put it in his mouth he just freezes or struggles to get free. I tried in the side of the beak and it wouldn't roll in his mouth, then it fell on his chest as he struggled. I am having trouble towelling him as I don't want to squish him.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Latest update: Poncho is lively , crawling all over his cage and really wanting to be with pinto. He appears to have made a great recovery, and has been eating like a champ. Since he was sick and is on antibotics for 2 more days, when is it okay to introduce him to pinto again? They have been caged together for their whole lives and call out to each other all the time. And my other bird, Alsing, 3 month old cockatiel, I have decided to wait another month or two before introducing again. Is it necessary do you think?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think you are smart to wait, and Poncho should finish his meds before you put him back withPinto. Err on the side of caution.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think as soon as the antibiotics are done, and he gets a clean bill of health from the vet, they can be caged together again.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
THank you everyone for your advice! You have all been a great help :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Glad he is doing better.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
2 days after ponchos antibotic treatment was over, he got sick again:(

The vet said he can do another 14 day antibotic treatment again, and some birds take longer to recover. I gave him antibotics and tried to syringe feed him grinded pellets and water, water mixed with pedialyte, and once again he appears better just one day later. I'm so worried about him I keep wondering if I am doing the syringe feeding and antibotic properly.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have they taken a culture to identify the bacteria?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Poncho is sick again. Did they do a culture AND sensitivity or a culture without sensitivity?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
She only did a swab of ponchos vent to check for infection of stomach and it came out clear. She is not an avian vet, none are on the island . I don't know what else can be done. What other infections to look for? He vet said it could be a liver infection which is why she gave antibotics.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can she take more samples from his vent and crop, and send them out to a lab that works with birds? They should be able to do a culture and sensitivity that will tell you what the most appropriate medication will be.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
What is the price for that normally? I'll ask tomorrow.. She charged me $60 for the first culture just to check for 1 problem, is that the normal rate? She also charged me $220 for the appointment because I asked to see her the same day I called , (emergency charges?). Does that seem right?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It varies, but that sounds about right.