1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Poncho is sick

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Tara81, 10/3/17.

1. Alien J

Alien J Jogging around the block I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Janet Rush Van Eyck
    Sending all good thoughts out to Poncho and you and your flock. Do you use bottled water for your birds?

2. Tara81

Tara81 Sprinting down the street

Tara
    Right now I am as I am replacing my bottles. Usually I drink fresh spring water and give that to the birds also. I live in Newfoundland, most of the town goes to the spring and gets water there since it's natural clean water. Should I only give them bottled water?

Checked on poncho, he is eating millet, had probably 6 or 7 poops this morning or during the night. He still looks fluffy though. The poops were dark but not super wet like diararraha.

Last edited: 10/4/17
  3. enigma731

enigma731 Walking the driveway

Dark poops like that just mean a bird isn't eating very much. I'm not sure why your vet thinks they indicate liver problems, but it does sound like the antibiotics are helping. It's great that he's eating more.

Tara81 and sunnysmom like this.
  4. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Try moistening his pellet food, stir in a little of the carrots, see if he eats that. Only do a teaspoon or so at a time because it goes to waste. You can also soak the millet, I do that for babies. If you have a sweet potato, cook it and give him a little.

Don't forget to use probiotics after the antibiotics.

5. saroj12

saroj12 Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

saroj
    avitec.com sells milk thistle and the dosage is on the bottle.

sunnysmom likes this.
  6. Tara81

Tara
    probotics how? I didnt think you could feed your pet yogurt. If so how much ?

Thanks Saroj12 , is it okay to use if he doesn't have a liver issue?

saroj12 likes this.
  7. enigma731

enigma731 Walking the driveway

I wouldn't use any supplements without consulting the vet as they can interact with some prescription medications in negative ways.

rockybird likes this.
  8. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Michelle
    They sell Avian Probiotics. It comes in a powder form. Also, milk thistle isn't harmful even if he doesn't have liver issues.

finchly, Tiel Feathers and Hankmacaw like this.
  9. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    I'm glad he's showing signs of improvement. Probiotics, such as AviBios and Aviculture, and milk thistle (no alcohol added) are perfectly safe.

I would probably filter your spring water with a filter that eliminates parasites and bacteria. it might have organisms or bacteria in it that might infect your small birds.

finchly likes this.
  10. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Annette Thompson
    Hope all turns out well with your lil one :hug8:

11. Tara81

Tara
    Ok I will probably just use bottled water for them then.
    Do you know where to order probotics and milk thistle online?

Update: Gave him some syringe wet grinded pellets and water mixed with pedialyte this morning, checked his his poop 3 hours later, is starting to look less dark, and he had like 6-8 of them. He appears tired but not always fluffed up. He is chirping sometimes to pinto in the other room. But not active. I did see him nibble on some brocolli and mash. He looks much better then yesterday. In 3 hours I will give him his antibiotic , not sure if I should continue syringe feeding or not. I think I will syringe him some water and pedialyte as his poop still looks drier then normal.

12. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    Great update!
    You can get both on here:
    Avitech Bird Supplies

And I think you can also get both on Amazon.

finchly likes this.
  13. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Tiel Feathers likes this.
  14. Tara81

Tara
    Thanks again! Gave him his antibiotics, his poop starting to look tan and more normal. Maybe it's not his liver after all!

15. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Sorry that Poncho is ill. Hope he will be better soon.

Tara81 likes this.
  16. Alien J

Alien J Jogging around the block I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Janet Rush Van Eyck
    Glad to hear Poncho is doing better! My first pony was a Newfoundland! His name was Shenandoah!

Tara81 likes this.
  17. Tara81

Tara
    Update: poncho is chirping, more like himself. But he hates his antibiotics and does these chirps that make me want to cry when I restrain him. Before he didn't fight it I guess he was too weak. I can see his breastbone slightly so I guess he lost some weight from being sick. I hope he's on the mend!

18. Tiel Feathers

Deanna
    Sounds like he might be getting better every day! Do you have a gram scale so you can weigh him?

19. Tara81

Tara
    He won't step on it . The vet had to towel him to weigh him. He only steps up in his cage my finger or his playpen.

20. Tiel Feathers

Deanna
    My birds won't step on the scale either, but they will step on a small travel cage, so I just put that on the scale and have them step on it. Depending on the type of scale you have, maybe something like that would work for you.

finchly and Tara81 like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)