• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Polyuria, Dehydration, and Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
Sorry if this is a bit much to read- it's been one hell of a long day.

This morning, Ada, my 6 month old Cockatiel, started having fairly bad polyuria. Over the course of an hour, she proceeded to urinate once about every five minutes; several of these rounds were without defecation. Other than that, she's asymptomatic- normal behavior, normal eating, nothing out of the ordinary.

I quickly became alarmed by the amount of fluid she was losing- and she didn't appear particularly thirsty. Worse, the pedialyte my fiancée had previously purchased just-in-case was a new formula with added zinc- so we weren't going to risk using it.

We called our vet's office, but our usual avian vet was out performing surgery. We brought Ada to one of her co-workers, who wasn't an avian vet.

Unfortunately, the vet's office was a good ten degrees colder than our house or car. I tried to ease Ada into it, but she still was visibly puffed and shaking. The vet agreed that we should perform diagnostic bloodwork- our poor, cold bird definitely looked sick.

Our vet could take blood, but she couldn't process it. She said she would have to send it out to Cornell Veterinary, and as it was 4PM, she wouldn't get the results back until tomorrow. If we drove the couple of hours to Cornell, however, she promised they'd run the tests right away.

We paid for the checkup, stopped home to get some water for Ada, and headed to Cornell.

--

Cornell lacks any signs whatsoever directing you to their veterinary hospital. The university information desk wastes an hour of our time giving us directions to the wrong building.

It's now something along the lines of 7PM. Inside the hospital, it's about 60 degrees, which is way too cold for poor Ada; our house has been about 82.

They proceed to bring her into an exam room; A graduate student acts as the nurse and checks her out. We point out that it's much too cold for Ada, and the nurse allows us to put her into an incubator, which only brings the temperature up slightly- to 65 degrees.

We wait like that for another couple of hours, with Ada still subjected to that unhealthy chill. No one's around, so we can't even ask if she can wait in the warm car. We were told there was medical emergency with another bird, and the doctor is attending that. (I pray that other bird is okay.)

The doctor finally comes at about 9PM, and determines that Ada is definitely moderately dehydrated. She's administered 4ml of fluid-electrolyte mix under the skin to combat the dehydration. When she returns, her legs are absolutely soaked with disinfectant- and she's now shivering and shaking like crazy.

She looks absolutely miserable, and is barely lucid. I actually have to hold my poor baby to my chest and in between my hands just to keep her warm. As I wait for the doctor to return, I begin to seriously worry that their air conditioning might kill her.

The doctor then tells us he can't run the blood work- the lab had closed while he was attending the other bird's emergency. The doctor says she seems very stable, and he doesn't think it's a terrible risk to wait another day for the blood work.

The doctor suggests they keep Ada overnight and perform the blood tests in the morning- but, after talking it over with my fiancée, we decline. We decide we'd rather have our own vet take blood, even if it means we won't see results until the afternoon. Better that than to have her freeze to death trying to rapidly acclimate to the cold.

Ada seemed absolutely fine for the car ride back- as soon as she was out of that cold, she perked right up. She's sleeping now, having been kept up far too late, in my opinion. Poor baby spent something something like 10 hours in her small car carrier. :(

---

The real question is, what do I do to help her recover from the whole experience? I'm really worried about her exposure to the freezing climate of the animal hospital.

Do you think I did the right thing, bringing her back home?

I'm exhausted. I've tried so hard to protect her- I just took a day off of work, spent hundreds of dollars and drove several hundred miles just hoping I'd help her get better. I didn't even really know for sure that she was sick- I just knew I'd never forgive myself if I didn't do everything in my power to get her better.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Bless your heart, you have had a rough day

how is she acting now that you are home?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby girl! I'm sorry she is not feeling well. If you weren't comfortable with the vet then you did the right thing by bringing her home. The fluids the vet gave should help for right now. It is difficult for birds to maintain body heat when ill or dehydrated. It takes alot of energy to warm the body. I recommend you place a light on her or a heating pad on one side of the cage and cover 2 sides to keep heat in.
Has she been eating a lot of fruit? This can cause polyuria.
See how she is later today and if it continues go back to your vet for blood work. Please keep us updated.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You need to get her into a hospital cage. Tent 3 sides and top, put a heating pad set on low under one side under the cage on one side. Put all her perches, food and water dishes low so she doesn't have to expend much energy getting to them.

She needs to stay hydrated so I would mix her water 50/50 with clear pedylite. If she isn't drinking try dripping a little off your finger into her beak.

If she's still not eating and drinking you can smear a little corn syrup on her beak to bring her energy level up.

Ginger

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OH poor baby and poor you....I think you did right by bringing her home. Hope she improves a bit today, if not I would get the blood work done at your regular vet. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that poor poor baby..actually tiels dont eat a lot of fruit so I would be very very surprised if she got it from that.... do however, follow all of Ginger's advice..I am very surprised that a vet place would have it so cold..you should complain about that. please come back on and let us know how she is doing.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How is she today?

Ginger

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Below is some causes for Polyuria...

Polyuria…defined as an increase in the quantoty of urine produced.

Polydipsia…defined as an increse of the water consumed.

The following are conditions associated with polyuria/polydipsia. Use this as a *check-off list*
Excitement or nervousness,
Apparent psychogenic polydipsia,
Medications (corticosteriods, diuretics, progesterones),
Toxins (eg, gentamicin),
Nephrogenic diabetes insipdus,
Diabetes insipidus,
Diabetes mellitus,
Renal glucosuria,
Vitamin A deficiency,
Liver disease,
Renal disease
Gout/-
Calcium deficiency
Hyperthyroidism
Hyperadrenocorticism
Hypervitaminosis D3
Elevated dietary sodium, and/or magnesium
High dietary fiber
Excess dietary protein
Excess fruit and vegetable consumption

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Poor baby. How is she today?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Part of her being cold appearing is due to being dehydrated. Also, if there is a bacterial infection this can also bring the body temp. down. A cockatiels body temp is 104 degrees.It can be measured with either a plastic strip thermometer ot a digital stem thermometer held under the wing pit.

Have there been any changes in diet or anything in the past week or so? What is her normal diet?

OK...this is not standard procedure for testing...but you can go to a pharmacy and ask the pharmasist for Multistix 10 SG, which are Reagent Strops for Urinalysis, made by Bayer. Wax paper should be placed in the bottom of the cage to catch the droppings. A test strip would be dragged across the birds urine to wet the surface of the test strip. The container the test strips come in has a color chart on how to read the strip. These strips test for: Glucose, Bilirubin, ketone,specific gravity, blood, pH, protien, urobilinogen, nitrate, leukocytes. The reading can give a clue to a high concentration of any of the above listed items.

I have found that sometimes 1 drop of liquid Stevia in the water dish also helps to slow down the amount of urine passed.

Cat

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
You can give her some clear pedilyte. It will help keep her hydrated. I use a 10 gallon aquarium as a hospital cage. It is easy to keep them warm in that environment.

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
Polyuria seems to have subsided for now, but she's still very tired and cranky. Poor thing didn't get enough sleep. She likes sleeping with her cage covered, so I am trying to let her nap a bit.

No 'come let me out' singing to greet the morning. :(
Her internal clock is probably all screwed up. She did eat quite a bit and drink a little.

Vet's secretary referred us to Cornell to get the blood drawn, waiting on her getting out of an apointment to see if she thinks the blood tests are still worth subjecting Ada to the cold.

Vet says no pedialyte following fluids. Trying to keep her hydrated on just water.

As for a hospital tank, I have one, but she seems more comfortable in her cage. Keeping the whole house 85+ right now.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Could the polyuria be from something that stressed her out? has there been any changes around her to cause stress?

Last edited:

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
Other than a new toy, made of bird-safe rope, nothing new or different. She wasn't alarmed by the toy, and it was removed once the polyuria began.

Looks like the next blood test spot is tomorrow in the afternoon. Going to buy those reagent strips today.

She's singing and hopping and playing as usual, god bless her. (I may have to start thinking of her as a male.)

Edit: here's Ada acting tired today:

Just a little too puffed for 83 degrees, I think. Not as puffed as she was yesterday.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby, doesn't feel good. Prayers coming your way!

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
Can you go to the Animal Medical Center in NYC?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I can't see the face enough to tell if it is a male or female. Poor baby makes me just want to give it scritches :)

Is she maintaining weight? Sometimes when they don't feel well they can rapidly lose alot of the breat tissue within days.

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
I can't see the face enough to tell if it is a male or female. Poor baby makes me just want to give it scritches :)

"She's" halfway through her first molt and looks kind of in-between genders right now. "She" behaves very male, anyways.

Can you go to the Animal Medical Center in NYC?
We theoretically could, but it's about four hours away and equates to her spending at least another ten hours in the carrier- and it would have kept her from getting the much needed sleep.

--

She only looks like that about half the time. The rest she looks like her normal self- singing, playing, tearing at her shred-ables. The doctor last night came in during one of the periods in which she was acting fine, and she jumped onto his pad and tried to steal his pen.

When she does look like that, she's usually fast asleep; sometimes on one foot and sometimes on both. She was up later than she ever had been before last night- and I think her sleep cycle has been thrown all out of whack. She wound up getting something like 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep, followed by a 4 hour nap.

--

Condition updates:

-She had a short burst of polyuria today, but there were only two affected droppings, spaced about ten minutes apart, then back to normal.
-Her appetite seems normal; if it's decreased, it's only slightly. She ate a lot of millet and seed/pellet mix, and enjoyed the effort it took to pry seeds off of a treat block. She drinks intermittently, so she is getting some fluid.
-She's still comfortably perching, and plays with toys inside her cage.
-According to the thermometer I keep right next to her cage (under the cage cover at night), her cage temperature is staying between 86-90. Relative humidity varies between 50% and 65%.

--

We have an appointment tomorrow at Cornell at 1PM. We're going to bring her heating pad with us, so we can keep her warm in that cold place. It won't be late at night, so we're hoping it'll be much faster.

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
We're going to bring her heating pad with us, so we can keep her warm in that cold place
-------------------------------------

If you have any surgical gloves you can fill them with hot /warm water for her to lean against in route....like in the pix below. Or you can fill a plastic bottle with water, and wrap it in a towel for emergency heat. At the vets office they should have gloves and you can fill up another one with warm water there for your trip back.

Attachments

ktemkin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kyle
Sounds like good advice.

Weighs 71g this morning. Looks a little better; we're going to head out to that blood test soon.

Hopefully we'll know what's up soon.

Here are some pics from this morning. For some reason, Ada loves singing to feet.

(posted from my mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.