• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Polyfolliculitis? I could use some advice.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Hi all.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread.. It's health related but not an emergency? I don't think? I hope here is alright. It can get moved if a moderator thinks there is a better place.

I could use all the information and personal experiences on birds with polyfolliculitis?

One of my budgies, Daryl, was diagnosed with it a few months ago. His feathers began looking .. Odd around his neck, crop area and near his legs. He then began picking at the feathers.
My avian vet was called and she examined him , and diagnosed him with polyfolliculitis. Otherwise, she said he was healthy. She said she sees it commonly in older budgies, with no explainable cause ( assuming there are no other symptoms ) .

I trust my avian vet a lot. She's an amazing vet but I've been really nervous about this. His behavior has not changed at all, he eats normally, his droppings look normal, he is very active, bright eyed, he appears to have been weighing the same constantly ( I have not weighted him... I should- but he is not tame so I'll need to think about how to do so) , his cage mate is perfectly healthy. ... I don't know. He has been picking worse lately however. His skin looks pretty raw and he goes into a fury at certain spots... this is definitely itchy picking from the polyfolliculitis not behavioral ( my GCC plucked behaviorally for a little last year - this doesn't appear the same)

I've done some general reading on it ( Polyfolliculitis ) and honestly I just get confused and overwhelmed. I'm scared he might have something else , and he's sick , will die and will put my flock in danger, but at the same time I want to trust my vet because everything else she's told me has been 100% correct. I'm a huge worrier so I can't tell if this is a genuine fear or not :(. She's definitely right about the diagnosis, I'm concerned about another underlying cause....

Opinions? My vet chose not to run any tests on him. There is one other vet in the area I use occasionally when my avian vet is not available if I should get a second opinion, but I think my avian vet wouldn't care taking a second look and a test if that's the general consensus.

For reference, he is roughly 7 years ( possibly a tad closer to 8) old, he was a "rescue" from a pet store 2 and a half years ago. He had mites extremely bad and was not being treated. We bought him , brought him to the local vet, and was examined. I believe he had a fecal, and a blood panel - but I'm not 100% sure. He , besides having severe mites and a deformed foot, was more or less healthy. He was treated and later brought into the flock.

Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:bump4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road