• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Polyfollices

Raquel Bennett

Moving in
Real Name
Raquel Bennett
Hi there, I have found some polyfollices in my budgie around her throat and under her wings. Is there anything I can do for her? They look extremely painful, but she seems to be ok and isn’t plucking them out or hurting herself!

Attachments

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Is she moulting? They look like pin feathers which develop inside a keratin sheath and then it flakes off leaving a fully formed feather.

I haven't ever heard polyfollicles before.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is she moulting? They look like pin feathers which develop inside a keratin sheath and then it flakes off leaving a fully formed feather.

I haven't ever heard polyfollicles before.
Poly follicles are when more than one feather comes out from the same follicle.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Poly follicles are when more than one feather comes out from the same follicle.
Interesting.

I haven’t ever heard of these poly follicles before now, so I don’t have any advice for you, @Raquel Bennett, sorry. I just hope she feels better soon and hopefully you’ll get some good advice from other people here.

Raquel Bennett

Moving in
Real Name
Raquel Bennett
Thank you for replies, I took Brenton to the avian vet yesterday in Melbourne (west Brunswick vet clinic) and they are pin feathers, although some of them look to be quite painful. She said the abnormal (curly) feathers coming through needed to go and taught me how to pluck them. Seemed quite scary at first but they come out without resistance and Brenton seemed much more comfortable after they were out. The vet nurse gave her a head massage, and clipped her toe nails for her. So she was feeling quite pampered.

She said as she is an English show budgie that they run into these things quite often due to in-breeding to get the mutation of color and shape of the bird. And the fact that she is 8 years old too!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m glad for her, that must’ve been uncomfortable!