• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poll: Help Name My Grey!

What should I name my new African Grey?

• Total voters

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
This Saturday, I am adopting my first Grey. Her current name is Molly, but I will be changing it. Please answer the poll with your favorites or suggest your own choices! I am especially partial to "H" names and African names. Thanks :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your soon to be Grey! How old is she? If she's older, she may already know that her name is "Molly". Just something to keep in mind. Both my tiel and my 'too definitely knew/know their names.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Congrats on your soon to be Grey! How old is she? If she's older, she may already know that her name is "Molly". Just something to keep in mind. Both my tiel and my 'too definitely knew/know their names.
She is 4. She may already know her name - I would be surprised if she doesn't - but my mom's dog is also named Molly and we watch her very, very frequently. I figure she will be very intrigued with the dog because of that, but we are hoping to change her name to avoid having two Mollys and because I'm not a huge fan of the name in the first place, haha

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Maybe you can bridge the 2 names together for awhile to help her grow accustomed to the change. My mother also has an adopted dog named Molly Pearl. Her original name was "Miley" and she just couldn't keep that one, so she changed it to something close (just Molly at first) and it worked out just fine.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Maybe you can bridge the 2 names together for awhile to help her grow accustomed to the change. My mother also has an adopted dog named Molly Pearl. Her original name was "Miley" and she just couldn't keep that one, so she changed it to something close (just Molly at first) and it worked out just fine.
That is exactly my plan. I will start by saying Molly combined with her new name each time I address her, and eventually I will drop the Molly. I will also be feeding her treats and lavishing her with praise while calling her her new name. I definitely don't want to put undue stress on her by addressing her by a new name from the get-go, but seeing as we will have her for a great many years, I want her name to be something that we can both enjoy. I'm a bit concerned about watching my mom's dog and her hearing me talking to the dog and getting confused or distressed!

And yeah, I don't blame her for not keeping the name Miley hahaha

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
And the winner is: HOKU! thank you for voting! We are bringing her home TOMORROW!
Oh wow - I just voted for Hoku a minute ago, so I guess you had already posted this. I can't wait to see pics of "Molly-Hoku"! Love the Hoku name.

Doctress

Strolling the yard
If she doesn’t take to the new name, you could call her Mali... it’s an African name...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really??? I just made it up as the initials would be HH

& Holly is a bit different than Molly