• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plug in air fresheners

Rita1828

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi I'm new to this forum. Just hoping someone can help me please. Just wondering if plug in air fresheners are safe for canaries. If not would you have any ideas what air freshners I could use

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi there welcome! I don't believe there is any thing that's a fake spray scent that would be safe to have around any species of birds.
I think folks will do things like boil oranges or Cinnamon sticks for a fresh scent?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do not believe they are safe for any birds (I struggle to breathe when in a room with them).

You can use orange peel and cinnamon (or many other fresh items like roses for example) in a slow boiling pot to fragrance your home- In the past I have even cooled the infused water and used it in a spray bottle as an air freshener.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The best bird-safe (and human-safe) air freshener is:
  • reduction -- don't add bad smells on the first place, and clean their source when they're unavoidable.
  • filtration -- run your HVAC fan so your indoor air is exchanged through its filter, or use dedicated standalone mechanical air filters.
  • ventilation -- use your externally vented kitchen range hood and bathroom exhaust fan when generating toxins/smells in those rooms, open windows, employ an ERV/HRV.
  • vacuum -- a combination of reduction and filtration as long as you have a good vacuum (if your room smells worse after your vacuum it's a bad vacuum).
Fresh air is about maintaining high indoor air quality, not introducing artificial smells.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Open windows & airing your home year round is the best method of air freshening, IMO. You can also dry flowers, like rose petals, but they tend to only smell if you stuff your nose in them.

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
How does febreese rate? I’ve used it before

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How does febreese rate? I’ve used it before
Please don’t ever use this around your birds. It’s well known to be deadly or dangerous to many animals.