• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking help :(

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hi, everyone. A while ago, I mentioned that it looked like Sammy was beginning to lose some feathers. That was a while ago now. A lot has happened, but I'm still lost.

We took her to the vet, and he said she seems to have elevated bacterial and fungal levels. She was put on two medicines. She's off them now because her levels seem more normal. I changed cleaning/sanitizing routines, so they're much more rigorous now.

She also got some blood tests, and that revealed that she's having some kidney problems and serious calcium and protein deficiencies. I'm trying to add more pellets to her diet (less seed) and cuttlebone. She also gets some egg every once in a while.

But it's still happening. If it is behavioral, I have no idea what to do. Please help.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
You should let the vet know that she’s still doing it. You could get her a soft collar to wear:

BirdSupplies.com the #1 Shop Feather Plucking Collar
Thank you. Yes, though we just started changing things not even a week ago. I guess I just hate seeing her pluck so much.

It may be worth adding that she plucks even when she's outside, with us. She starts preening, then plucks something out with this loud, pained screech. :(

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug: Once they get into the habit, even if there’s no longer a specific reason driving the behavior, it can be very difficult to stop. I’ve tried lots of things with Boo, my mutilator. She’s actually getting some tail feathers back with her current medications, but she is still gnawing at her skin. (She’s very intolerant of collars - won’t eat or even stand up properly with them on. So I’ve been hunting for something she can tolerate.)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you increase vegetables in her diet and get her eating a tiny smidge of cooked eggs?