• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

plucking Green Cheek

Status
Not open for further replies.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Hello all.

As some of you may have noticed, I have been looking around for another parrot recently. I want to go the rehome/rescue route, and have 2 upcoming home visits.

In the meantime, I have been looking at Craigslist.

I found an ad for a Green Cheek who has been plucking due to the owner not spending time with him anymore, something I don't think I've seen before in a Green Cheek, poor thing. =(

Admittedly, I've been more interested in a different type of bird, but at the same time, I think it would benefit Duckie to another of her species, and of course I love Green Cheeks.

I just was curious about what you all thought about this.

The woman giving him up said that she used to have a job where she could bring him along, then her position changed, and she couldn't, she then got pregnant and was sick all the time, and now she has a new baby, and she says the GCC screams constantly for attention.

I think we might have a good home for a Greenie in need. And for the plucking, I imagine it would just need love, and time, and vet visits, and good food.

Is there anything I should be asking this person before I arrange a visit? Any thoughts?

Here are a few pics

Last edited:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Oops! Put this in the wrong section...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Find out if the GCC has ever been to the vet and if there are any records available.
He looks like a handsome guy even with the plucking.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What a beautiful baby! Scoop him/her up! Zia does this and was plucked at the shelter. She will pluck if she is stressed like when I moved cages around and Kari antagonized her that day. Moved her cage that night and she let them all grow back in. Dec/Jan is hormone time for her. She goes hormonal, usually gets a bacterial infection and plucks her little chest. Dr. O pointed out the pattern to me this time as her checkup. But she is a doll. Although she hates all other cheeks. I'm not sure who or what she thinks she is...

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Find out if the GCC has ever been to the vet and if there are any records available.
He looks like a handsome guy even with the plucking.
I will. Good thought - thank you!

What a beautiful baby! Scoop him/her up! Zia does this and was plucked at the shelter. She will pluck if she is stressed like when I moved cages around and Kari antagonized her that day. Moved her cage that night and she let them all grow back in. Dec/Jan is hormone time for her. She goes hormonal, usually gets a bacterial infection and plucks her little chest. Dr. O pointed out the pattern to me this time as her checkup. But she is a doll. Although she hates all other cheeks. I'm not sure who or what she thinks she is...
Oh interesting. That's awful that she gets a bacterial infection! Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers that whoever I end up with will have a friendly relationship with Duckie, and that Duckie behaves herself. We shall see. :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have several pluckers but I can tell you that the plucking used to stress me out big time with Giggie. No matter what I did or scheduled, she would pluck. Dr. O says she needs to be home with someone who is there 24/7 as she is very people oriented. But I have slowly been trying to get her more bird oriented. I feel like I am detaming her but once she mutilated, I haven't stressed again about pulled feathers on anyone when I am doing all that I can. The mutilation thing is way stressful. Giggie is also on gabapentin to help. Fingers crossed this year is uneventful. Last year we had uneventful egg laying although she and Carlton ate all the eggs each morning but did sit on the dummy eggs. Weird birds I tell ya.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@webchirp Oh wow. Poor little nugget! They're kind of like people. Some of them are better at adapting to life stuff then others...Poor little thing. That must be very hard for you!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I would scoop him up in heartbeat. He is so handsome!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@webchirp Oh wow. Poor little nugget! They're kind of like people. Some of them are better at adapting to life stuff then others...Poor little thing. That must be very hard for you!
We had a scary time that she mutilated even when she was being watched by the vet for a few days. It worked before...change of scenery and her favorite most person in the world (vet tech Julie). But she chewed herself up big time and even worried the vet. Luckily Pam who makes the parrot petals sent me collars. Collars and drugs and we made it. As soon as she gets any kind of wound (sometimes she gets ingrown feathers she picks out), we drug her up for about a week with extra gabapentin and tramadol.

But seriously that little guy is stunning and I bet his feathers come back. :xflove:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
How awful @webchirp ! That would be very scary.

Update: Well, the girl just wrote me back and said she found a home for him this morning. We were supposed to meet this afternoon. Ah! I hope it's a good one! I worry about people in general with birds. :(

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:( I'm sure there will be another one coming along if it's meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.