• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking concern

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am very worried about my Dusky conure baby. He's only 5 to 6 months old. I had a graduation to attend and boarded him at the store I bought him from from June 6th to 8th-He enjoys chattering back and forth with the birds there . When I picked him up I had company for another three days and then back to work. Upon coming home from work I noticed that he may have plucked out a few chest feathers. He has some pin feathers around his neck that I have helped with-he just seems too young to be molting. There didn't seem to be anymore of it until I was late coming home from work today. And it seems he plucked more. He's always been an anxious guy and seems to get over stimulated. He is constantly on the move during the day. I do have an Avian light on his cage. I think I need to get him some foraging toys. He's been to the vet and everything came back fine - "this was just before boarding him and the company. I am so worried and don't know what to do. I am sending pics of the first time and now today. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
6 months is not too young to be molting, just like a toddler can shed hairs. It's all a constant growth, we just usually don't see the everyday stuff too much :)

I agree though that it looks like feather destructive behaviors. The avian bulb really doesn't do much, unfortunately. I'll link you to an article about Vitamin D3, and it has a video someone did that shows that they are essentially useless. Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

What kind of cage does he have and how big is it? Does he play with the toys he currently has in his cage? Preening toys and foraging toys definitely may distract him. I have a quaker that plucks his legs sometimes and he really likes preening toys and undoing knots!