• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pluck no more

Glengrey

Moving in
I joined this site to address someone’s concerns/questions about pluck no more. I have no idea yet if it works but there are a lot of reviews supporting it I am just going to address a way of making it more cost effective while trying it. Diluting a cap full into 8 oz of water and then throwing out just to do it again seems to be an incredible waste. I am going to dilute the cap in 8 oz of water but keep it fresh and sealed. I will take 3 ml of his solution in a syringe 2 times a day and administer it directly to my African greys mouth until solution is gone if your bird will allow you to do this it will save you a tone of money while seeing if he product workd

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I don't think I would keep any solution mixed up for more than 3 or 4 days. That's a good way to harbor bacteria.

Have you looked in to what's causing the plucking? There can be many reasons that an animal starts to mutilate and sometimes it's because of something going on internally.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sometimes you need to get a medical evaluation with an Avian Vet for a blood work up to rule out any other suggested reason aside from behavioral. Pluckers can be bored birds, birds that have an underlying medical issue or even stress that can lead to behavioral plucking.

Tell us alittle about the day in the life with your grey? Many greys do infact pluck. But sometimes it can be corrected too with proper foraging and preening, shredder toys.

Avitech makes a supplement you can add to the food. Featheriffic is the supplement along aside you can use Avi Calm too. Showers, feather sprays will also help is there is any irritated skin. Vitamin A is very important for birds especially African Greys.

Give me so background on your Grey. Maybe a few suggestions or changes will help you.

Claire

Glengrey

Moving in
He has no irritated skin. When he went through his first moly is when the picking started. Heisn’t bald anywhere it is more like over preening except his tail feathers he plucks them as soon as they start to come in. I have lots of toys in his cage. He is extremely smart and knows what to say in different situations. Talking to the cat and dog by their names. He seems calm. The amazon perfect frather

Glengrey

Moving in
Peachfaced: I don’t think bacteria forms in a sealed solution can just mix smaller quantities instead of a cap in 8 oz. dilute 1/2 cap in 2 oz I’m not throwing 90% of the product down the drain I was suggesting this for people who complain about the amount of bottles of pluck no more they would have to use to do the required 3 months of treatment. It’s an all natural produc. Why would diluting it in water and keeping it in a sealed container cause bacteria to grow . How do you come to that reasoning?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no magic potion for plucking my friend. If you don't address the underlying issues nothing will change. The first order of business is a medical checkup to rule out medical causes.

I have lots of toys in his cage.

You're talking about a very intelligent creature (just as smart as you). Toys are just "stuff" and the cage is just a box. If I put you in a small room "alone" with a bunch of colorful hanging toys, how long do you think you'll be entertained by a string of wood blocks? One day? One week? Months? You'll play with that toy for a while in the beginning but it will become boring very quickly.

What they want is your time, stimulating interaction and lots of space. Eliminating the cage from your birds life and providing a much larger secure area will do wonders(bird safe room or indoor aviary). If he is allowed to fly by choice you will see a much different bird. Confident. Calm.

It's all about providing a stimulating environment.

Last edited:

Glengrey

Moving in
If you wish to help someone don’t start out by criticizing someone you don’t even know. I am excellentl with birds. My grey loves me and cuddles on my shoulder and gets head runs every night the toys in the cage was in response to someone’s comment that they need chew toys and toys to stimulate them. You took that one comment and singled it out and attacked me as if I shut my bird in the cage with toys

Last edited by a moderator:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Peachfaced: I don’t think bacteria forms in a sealed solution can just mix smaller quantities instead of a cap in 8 oz. dilute 1/2 cap in 2 oz I’m not throwing 90% of the product down the drain I was suggesting this for people who complain about the amount of bottles of pluck no more they would have to use to do the required 3 months of treatment. It’s an all natural produc. Why would diluting it in water and keeping it in a sealed container cause bacteria to grow . How do you come to that reasoning?
Bacteria loves moisture. Add in anything edible to bacteria will promote growth. Heck, even just water in a cup will have bacteria.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Thank you for your infinite wisdom the pluck no more was addressed solely for a way to not have to throw 90% of the solution down th drain. I am going down every avenue with regards to my particular feather issue. I devote tones of time and attention to my birds and resent the accusation that you think I stick it in a gage and give it toys. My birds Never are they locked in their cage and the tops are always open. I do however work as most people do and I supply as much stimulant as I can for while I am gone. If you have never had a bird that plucked despite all your best efforts and have corrected it and have got them back fully feathered. Then you have no business commenting or criticizing like you are some kind of expert
This forum is full of experienced bird caregivers.
Your post set off a couple of alarms and people are trying to help you with your bird. Please don't be offended, it comes from a caring place.
They are trying to help you fix the plucking, it sounds pretty severe actually.
Do you live where there is an Avian Vet? Plucking is something that needs to be addressed from the inside out. Starting with a vet appointment. It could be something very simple, such as a bacterial infection, or diet, or...so many other things.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
If you wish to help someone don’t start out by criticizing someone you don’t even know. I am excellentl with birds. My grey loves me and cuddles on my shoulder and gets head runs every night the toys in the cage was in response to someone’s comment that they need chew toys and toys to stimulate them. You took that one comment and singled it out and attacked me as if I shut my bird in the cage with toys
I'm sure your bird loves you, and that's awesome! There is no way anyone here could advise you on the product without thinking first of what the underlying cause might be. I think you may have taken John incorrectly, at least from what I just read, where I didn't see anything offensive. @JLcribber is one of our most experienced parronts here, and I do think that some would consider him darn near an expert. Anyway! Please don't take it the wrong way - I guarantee you that he, and most of us here, has the best in mind for your bird.

Last edited:

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Please don't take anything said by anyone on this forum personally. All of us have one main concern, even before manners sometimes (I'm the first to admit I do this), and I don't mean it. It's just that I care so much about your bird! I don't want anything to hurt your bird so we may act like over-reaching moms and we kind of are. I apologize if you felt defensive and we don't mean for that, and I know it can happen. But please just know, we care about birds A LOT. We'll listen to the story you tell us and give you advice. If we sound like we are condescending, it's only because we want to get to the bottom of it.

Hope your fid feels better and you do too! Lots of hugs (if you want them) your way. Welcome!