• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

P'let weigh-in!

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I am curious how much your birds weigh. Flynn is anywhere from 29-31 grams in a given week.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
my female parrotlet weighes between 30-32gr, my male weighes between 29-31 grams.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Baby Julian is a solid 32g and Simon was a hefty 36! Both were from the same breeder so I wonder if their breeding stock just happens to be big-boned?? :D

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
Blue is on the small side, and tends to weigh between 27-29 grams :heart:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
All the above weights are within the normal range. I raised parrotlets for a few years, more than a decade ago. At that time 30 grams was common and many weighed more. As parrotlets became more common and people began to breed more carelessly (not selecting their breeder birds for health, weight and character) the average weight began to drop.

I had one bird who came from an old time breeder, one of the first to breed and show parrotlets in the US, and he was a whooping 46 grams. He was the biggest that I ever came across. That bird could sure eat. He was actually over weight though.

To assess the body condition of a bird you feel the keel bone. If it is not protruding and is somewhat padded but still easy to find then they are usually a good weight. A overweight bird will have fat covering its breast and it will be difficult to feel the keel (breastbone), while and underweight birds will likely have a protruding or sharp keel bone.

The personal weight history of an individual bird is a great thing to have to compare his historical weight to his current weight so you can be alerted to possible health issues which might be indicated by the change in weight.